on 14 October 2009
Right never wrote one of these before but thought I had to add my two pence. Firstly I saw one review which said that CODMW2 was going top blow this out of the water, and yes this is true, however they are very different games!!! CODMW2 is an arcade game and very very good and I can't wait for it to come out and still play COD4 now with mates to keep me going until it does. However Flashpoint is not an arcade game but a simulator!! In real life you can get shot in the leg and bleed out from it and die, just as you can take three rounds to the chest and survive, life is strange like that, but I digress.

There are problems with this game don't get me wrong! in fact the comment of looking after three children with guns does ring true to me, however these are US marines we're talking about, so there is some realism to that!! I played the original flashpoint when it came out, loved it but didn't understand a thing about the controls, such as formations, line, vee, wedge, column, whats the difference? Now I actually serve in the military I understand, and can say they hold these formations better than some real soldiers I have worked with do!! The tactics are spot on, the radio traffic although different to British voice procedures are very good, and the fact it takes a good 10-15 seconds to set up a rocket launcher is again spot on!!

This game is not perfect, however it is with out a doubt the most realistic shooter I have played, yes you command a group of muppets but be aware of that and adjust your tactics accordingly! Yes you are shooting at little stick figures, but at 300 meters that's what people look like, and it is hard to hit your target. At the moment the pros outweigh the cons, and if the last flashpoint was anything to go by there will be plenty of add ons to keep you going.

In summary if you are expecting a CODMW2 clone, JOG ON. However if you want a tactical shooter which will challenge you (both your game playing ability and your mental state) then give it a go, if your not sure rent it and see what you think, however if this is your first Flashpoint game give it more that a couple of hours game time before you make your decision, I would recommend 8-10 hours if at that point you don't like it then it won't be for you.
55 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?