2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult, not Easy Curler, 21 Oct. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was looking forward to receiving the Remington CI6219 Stylist Easy Curl, because the Remington D3710 Stylist Turbo 2200W Hair Dryer and the Remington S6600 Stylist Multi Style Advanced Ceramic Styler had proved so good. I was also looking forward to re-creating all those glamorous styles I see about with ringlet curls, or the glamorous waves from brushing the tighter curls out that I so admire. However, after several attempts, I have to admit defeat and acknowledge it's just not in the same league.

Pros:

1. The colour matches my other two Remington products.
2. It has a very long extension cord, which means I can plug it in on one side of the bed, but utilise the mirror on the other without getting tangled, or pulling.
3. It heats very quickly.
4. For the most part, the plastic curl guide protects the skin, both on my hands and head when holding the iron close.
5. The handle end is very well designed; ergonomic, as it fits my hand perfectly; a good grip that doesn't slip; and long enough so that the on/off button doesn't get in the way when manoeuvring it in order to curl.
6. It's light, but feels rather sturdy and durable, including the plastic curl guide.

Cons:

1. The red light only indicates if it is on, or off, not if it's ready to use or, more importantly, has cooled down.
2. The curl guide into which the hair is slotted has 1 cm gaps and this means the whole of the heating iron is not utilised. I have very long (waist length, unlayered) hair, but even the shorter bits, which reach my collar bones, were not completely wound with a 2.5 cm section left uncurled at both ends. This meant doing each section 3 times - at least.
3. The curl guide only allows winding in one direction, which meant a bit of thinking, and fumbling to work out which direction you needed to turn it, and I found I had to use my non-dominant hand to make alterations in direction; more than just a little difficult (read: infuriating).
4. Although the clip was strong enough to hold my hair, getting my hair in it initially was fiddly.
5. When I released a curl, I found either the clip or part of the guide had caught, and then pulled strands of hair from my head; these were not easy to untangle and remove in order to prevent burning by the iron.
6. The iron gets cooler towards the tip, which I found odd because as you wind from the bottom, it means the hair at the bottom was heater for longer than that towards the top, which is wound on last.
7. That same base part of the guide which completely envelopes the handle, at the base of the iron gets very hot, and when I turned it off remained hot for several minutes. At no point during use did I feel it was safe to put down, preferring to grip the lower part of the handle between my knees between uses in order to avoid burning something. Yes, it has two, very tiny rubber feet but I feel they did not provide enough of a gap between the iron and the surface. A heat-resistant pad on which to rest it, which I believe has been mentioned in other reviews, would be helpful. It was quite some time (maybe 10 minutes) before I felt I could put it down safely.
8. I felt the the Remington CI6219 Stylist Easy Curl was designed more for using on another person, as self-styling was fiddly and time-consuming. If someone was sitting in front of me, I imagine proceedings would have been quicker and smoother.
9. I tried curling a pony tail in sections, curling my whole head of unbound hair, and just curling the shorter bits left down on an "up do" and, sad to say, unlike the wonderful Remington S6600 Stylist Multi Style Advanced Ceramic Styler which left my hair straight for days, the curls dropped in under two hours, regardless of which styling products I used.

I'm sorry that the cons outweigh the pros. I'll continue to use it, and I hope to become more proficient at which time I'll update and/or alter my review. Until then, I'm afraid the Remington CI6219 Stylist Easy Curl is difficult, and thus disappointing.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]