on 9 February 2001
I am a mother of adoption loss, reunited in 2000 with the daughter I gave up for adoption 32 years before. This book terrified me when I first read it - it brought up all sorts of things I had never even considered (having had a vision all these years of my child happy and content in the knowledge that she was "special and chosen" to her adoptive parents and that giving her up was the best thing I could have done) and for me, it was a difficult and very emotional read.

However, "The Primal Wound" opened my eyes to how very difficult adoption is for all of us involved - especially for the adoptee. It has enabled me to at last acknowledge my own pain and more importantly to understand what my daughter has gone through and to help her now with patience and love. It has also helped me to understand that the feelings associated with adoption - for all parties - are complex and that reunion is only a part of the healing process.

In a country like ours where the aftermath of adoption is still so much a 'taboo' subject, Nancy's book gives answers we don't always want to hear but which nevertheless help us to understand this complex and extremely emotional subject. I think it is a 'must' read for anyone involved in adoption.
11 Comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.