on 4 June 2008
I have to confess that business books aren't my favourite genre. But every once in a while, one comes along and captures my imagination. This one not only captured it but carried me away with its own, well, momentum.

OK, so there are lots of those cheesy b-school diagrams, lovingly crafted in Powerpoint (one of my pet hates about the genre). But in between, there are plenty of great stories and a powerful narrative worthy of the title. Business stories, told well, are strangely compelling - and these are some of the best.

And OK again, there's a certain amount of stating the obvious, wrapped up in research (the main problem with books by business gurus). But sometimes we really do need to be told an obvious truth that somehow got forgotten in the complexities of 21st-century business. So many organisations that I've worked for treat customer focus as an optional extra, tacked on as an afterthought - or worse, overlooked completely.

Now at least, when my colleagues are scornful of the people who ultimately pay their salaries or witter endlessly on about shareholder value without acknowledging where that value comes from, I'll have a hard-edged book to throw at them.

It's just kind of ironic it took a Frenchman to remind us how important our customers are!
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details