on 6 March 2008
I've only recently started watching all the mini-series I've missed over the years. The best one I've seen (and we see quite a few!)-- the best MOVIE I've ever seen-- is The Mayor of Casterbridge.

Ciaran Hinds IS Michael Henchard. He's absolutely amazing and, despite his sad and deeply flawed character, he keeps our empathy. That is a very difficult task, too, since he creates some horrible situations for himself and for others. Yet, he's human and is trying to do what he deems best, though what he deems best at the time is so very very wrong.

His performance kept me riveted throughout the film and kept me thinking about the movie for a long while afterwards, as well.

Every performance in this was outstanding. The cinematography was gorgeous and the music was haunting. I looked for the sheet music to this theme afterwards, but couldn't find it. I'll keep looking.

What a wonderful film. You will absolutely not be disappointed. Definitely one of the most beautiful,touching and bittersweet movies I've ever seen.
11 Comment| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?