on 8 July 2011
I bought the Eagle Eye in a moment of weakness. I'd had a particularly bad night on Crysis 2 multiplayer and felt I "needed an edge". I'd been thinking about buying the Eagle Eye for a little while but couldn't justify spending over £[] for something that might not have worked with my keypad and mouse - the website does have lists of compatible mice and keyboards, but the cynic in me wasn't convinced.

Anyway, I bought it and it arrived in a couple of days (excellent delivery service!) and I took a whole 5 minutes to read the instruction booklet (it's tiny). Some of the advanced options look a little confusing at first glance but I ignored them until after using it.

Set up was very simple, although the copied file from the disc to my deaktop wouldn't work so I had to enter the program from the disc - no problem really, but don't lose the disc (again, it's tiny!). Take your time with setting up the key bindings as it'll help in the long run. I'd suggest pretending to play and working out which keys you use most and then mapping them to easily reached buttons. Of course, this may be easier on a "normal" keyboard but I use a Cyber Snipa V2 keypad which I used to use when I ran my pc to game on. Incidentally, I also use a Razer Copperhead mouse - I'm left handed so am restricted on gaming mice (although Razer have released a proper left handed gaming mouse which I will purchase eventually).

2 key binding settings are available so I'd suggest setting both up slightly differently and then decide which is best for you.

To the game... first off, I was rubbish. The key binding didn't work for me so I had to reallocate the keys. Then, straight back on the game and I was better. With more practice, my KDR improved loads and it's so much easier to aim and shoot with a mouse than a stick and R1/R2 buttons. Maybe because this is down to my pc gaming background, but it works. Practice makes perfect and perseverance will pay off - don't expect to map your keys and then triple your KDR straight off. You will find you hit the wrong keys at times until you re-learn what works.

I have only tried the Eagle Eye with Crysis 2 MP and can only imagine that COD/BF/etc will be easier than Crysis 2 due to not having to stealth/armour/nano all the time.

There are no deadspots at all and, once sensitivity is adjusted to your liking, it's quick and simple to use. I've had no need to fiddle with the advanced settings yet and probably won't.

All in all, a useful piece of kit, particularly if you're coming from a pc gaming background onto PS3.
What's this?