on 17 November 2007
I bought this book about 2 weeks before my, now 3 month old, daughter was born. I didn't get round to reading it before she was born and didn't have much time to read after she was born so I wish I'b bought it sooner.

It covers everything you need to know for the first 2 years of your child's life in an easy to use quick reference style. Also there is some information on preparation for birth, details of attachment parenting (which is the style of parenting introduced by the Sears), and lots of detail about breastfeeding which I've found very useful.

It is very biased towards attachment parenting but they make it clear that this approach can be flexible. For example, whilst co-sleeping is recommended by attachment parenting they clearly state that this doesn't suit everyone (in fact I wanted to co-sleep with my daughter but found that neither of us slept very well so I've opted for a bedside cot as they suggest and this works very well).

The Sears have a wealth of experience in childcare and it is clear in this book that they are caring sentitive people who believe mothers should follow their instincts and 'listen' to their babies.

What I think I like best about this book is that it makes me feel confident that what I am doing naturally isn't wrong. For example, I love holding my baby while she is asleep which seems to be forbidden by many experts. I doubt I'll look back and think 'I wish I'd held her less'. I also love breastfeeding her to sleep, rocking her to sleep and reading this book made me realise that nightime parenting can be a joy rather than a chore (I have certainly had many lovely moments holding my daughter in the middle of the night while the house and neighbourhood was still and dark). I don't feel I have to apologise for having my daughter in bed with us (as so many mums I've met do).

The book has a useful breakdown of you child's development from birth to 2 with details of games etc. to enhance development. There is also a chapter on weaning and details of problems you may encounter in toddlers.

Another book which I've found useful which provides a slightly more balanced and objective approach is 'what to expect in the first year' but this book is definitely one that I will keep coming back to.
0Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.