4.0 out of 5 stars TOUCHY FEELY, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Killing Them Softly [DVD] (DVD)
I like Andrew Dominik,i think he's a cool director so I was already biased before even watching.Dominik is a director that loves movies,speaks it's language.Kind of like Paul Thomas Anderson in that regard.
First off the bat let me tell you what this movie is not...
1.A fast paced crime caper with zany criminals with bazookas
2.Not about robbing plush casinos
3.No limping masterminds
Now this is not to say there is anything wrong with a zany caper concerning criminals who rob a plush casino with bazookas,in fact I love those type of movies.But I thought i'd save the more discerning viewer 90 minutes or so as well as a couple of quid.Killing Them Softly is a bit more about the nuances,sitting in the cars talking about jobs,watching people sweat and actually showing that carrying out a hit can be a bit of a chore.
There's nice performances from all involved and I have to say my respect for Pitt has increased,i have really enjoyed Jesse James,Tree Of Life and this movie.Credible,artistic movies.I can't think of many mainstream actors who would say such lines about Thomas Jefferson being a wino and America purely being a business.
My one complaint would be the ramming of the economic theme,WE get it.It did seem at one point there was a constant Obama or Bush speech playing.Once would have sufficed.And made the point.
I liked this movie,who knows if you will?BUT if you liked Dominiks previous you will enjoy,nice shots,solid acting,good script.I have seen other people mocking Softly saying its tryin to be "Tarantino esque",if anything I would argue to the very opposite.If it was trying to be that it would be Tarantino on tranquilisers at the least.
I look forward to Dominiks next movie,heck I may even go see War War Z.
Cool.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Jul 2013 02:22:51 BDT
West25 says:
Good to see you are still reviewing mister Joe, even if it's a lot less often than you used to. I agree that Andrew Dominik is a very good director, I haven't seen Killing Me Softly yet but I loved Chopper, and Jesse James was a really good surprise. I also think Brad Pitt has moved away from the pretty boy image he had in the late '80s and '90s, he really seems to have concentrated on taking good roles that require a lot more than looking pretty. After watching several films lately like Battleship and Transformers 3, I'm really looking forward to a film that cares more about the characters and a good story rather than horrible CGI effects, quick editing and explosions that come straight out of a computer game.

Posted on 2 Jul 2013 00:08:14 BDT
mister joe says:
Brilliant to hear from you West,thanks for reading and voting.The thing with this film is its very conscious but in a way I like,a tad pretentious but just on the right side of it.I think Domink has good intentions so to speak.
But it is getting a kicking on the customer reviews.I have to prevent myself from taking a snob attitude of "they just don't get it",i refuse to take that view as hard as that is!Its another case of punters maybe getting something that differs from the box.
It has 5 star reviews screaming out from the cover,Brad Pitts on the cover with a gun....at heart its an arty movie that could easily be with unknown actors,just a small independent style job.
The shadow of Tarantino really hangs over modern thrillers nowadays,i feel a large part of the audience expected smart self aware dialogue,twisty turny narrative....a few reviewers are saying its trying to be Tarantino which as I stated in review I disagree with.
Dominiks Jesse James and this are in my mind steeped in the whole Hollywood 70s auteur area.James is a superior film in my opinion but I did like Softly.I think he overdid the political analogy a tad and I am still not quite sure about the Gandolfini speech.[God bless his soul]
At the least its an interesting movie with some very nice shots indeed,i loved the austrailian guy in it.
I am a sucker for the more slow moving heist goes wrong pictures.
I think Dominik's work is going to be viewed better as part of a whole,do you know what I mean?Like I see Paul Thomas Anderson's stuff like that....wasn't massively keen on Punch Drunk Love but sandwiched in between Magnolia and There Will Be Blood it develops its place.I don't need to explain to you West you get it!Like you could pick out a Fulci,Argento,Altman,Lynch....
Hope all is well in your "hood" and you are still enjoying all your movies.
I still have got stacks!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2013 05:07:42 BDT
West25 says:
We've not spoke to each other on here for quite a while, I've not been on anywhere near as often as I was before. I figured if I made myself just check in once in a while, it'd stop me from spending so much money on here, and to a degree it has worked.

I'm really surprised I haven't watched Killing Me Softly yet, when I saw it advertised when I was at the cinema watching Lawless (which is a good film as well) I liked the look of it. I don't mind a film being a little pretentious as long as it's still fun or entertaining. I think we all have a tendency to act a little snobbish about films now and again, I always try not too but sometimes it slips out now and again completely by accident. I love a lot of films most people would call trash, I also love art house films and lots of foreign language films, it's hard not to feel a bit snobbish when someone refuses to watch a black and white film or foreign film which is excellent. I think the reason many people may have been disappointed is because of the way the film was marketed, the ad I saw definitely made it look like an action film rather than an intelligent drama with the odd bit of action.

It really is amazing how many films of this type that get compared to Tarantino, I like his films but let's not compare everything that has anything remotely similar in it to his films. It seems like all films are either trying to imitate his films, or someone has the audacity to try and make a completely different type of film to his, which is of course a sin. There was definitely a whole raft of films in the mid to late '90s that were definitely Tarantino inspired, but I think it's mostly died down now and people just mention Tarantino because it's easy even when it isn't warranted, like I believe this film is.

I know exactly what you mean by certain films eventually fitting into a director's overall body of work, even if the film seems a little different or out of place at the time it was made. I think there's even some directors that never really make a great film, but looking on their career overall, it really is quite impressive. I think Tony Scott would fall in that category for me, made lots of very good films but never really made genuinely fantastic films, but put all the films he made together and he really did have a terrific career.

On a personal note, everything is going fine, things could always be better but I can't complain. How are things with you?

As for the movies, hell would have to freeze over before I stopped watching and enjoying at least two films a day. I have managed to curb my spending a little in the last few months, I've been loving re-watching loads of films I have that I really enjoyed but had never had the chance to revisit with all the new films I'd been buying all the time. I know that you tend to go through periods of watching films, then listening to music and then reading books, with this being your first film review for a while, can I assume that you're back on to your films at the moment?

Posted on 2 Jul 2013 19:18:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jul 2013 19:22:19 BDT
mister joe says:
Alright West,well done on cutting down the purchases!Still a bit of a problem on my part.Its weird sometimes I think I just like the "chase" so to speak of buying stuff on amazon.I think a movie run is going to begin again Softly being the kick start.
It actually stresses me out,i have all these things to watch causing a massive pile up of boxsets and dvds.
One of the worst things I do is get into a fad then feel possessed to buy loads,for example I enjoyed a WWF dvd I watched couple of months ago then I bought literally about 20 dvds.Watched two and have eighteen stacked up!!!
Recently read a biography concerning Jonathan Nathan Turner who produced Dr.Who in the eighties......ordered 10 or so dvds.Its like I am buying more then I could possibly view!!!!Then sometimes the fad/flavour subsides and I am onto the next thing.
Bought a load of Rolling Stones dvds after their Glastonbury.I feel really guilty about spanking all this money!
Films wise a considerable stack has being building,films I have wanted to see for ages stuff like Oldboy,The Imposter,Safehouse....not to mention Broadwalk Empire,The Wire.....West the list goes on.
I have noticed though prices aren't what they used to be around here,with movies as much as I want to see them as soon as possible I tend to wait the 7 months or so for them to go from new release price of 13 quid to like 5[like Softly,Imposter]
I have to really,really like the look of a film to buy it full price.I think I will buy Spring Breakers day of release.I bought Snowtown and Micheal last year full price as well as Werner Herzogs Death Row series and film.
I recently watched Breaking Bad Season 4,have you seen it?That one really clicked for me,the whole cancer angle[which I felt had become a ball and chain]was sort of put to one side.Much darker and rock n roll.
Sorry going to back to dvd prices I tend to pick up movies largely at supermarkets.I am on a big time lookout for The Master at around 6 quid right now.I know Anderson tried to sort of distant it from Scientology but lordy Philip Seymour Hoffman looks a spit for L.Ron Hubbard!I imagine Anderson didn't want a campaign of hate waged against him.
I currently reading a book called Going Clear about scientology its a gripping,bizarre read.Apparently the books banned but you can pick up a copy from amazon.The reviews for The Master are generally 3.These 3 stars always seem to be the films I like.
Reviewers really seem not like or appreciate ambuigity.I understand that but I kinda like films that float,that have space where you can think of it.
In terms of rewatching dvds you already own,its a great thing.In many ways what dvds were originally intended for.It seems now that it literally it can take me up to 3 years to rewatch a dvd because of all the other stuff I am watching.Mad really.
Picked up Farrell Total Recall today,i thought it will be watchable at the least and its got Byran [is it]Branston from Breaking Bad in it.
Plus the rather potent question of Kate Beckinsale or Jessica Biel.Its like a matrix of an answer that may take months for me to answer.
Also picked up a film called Marcia,Mary...something I cannot remember with one of the Olsen girls for 3 squid.The films about a cult which is a subject I am always interested in.Anyhow West speak soon and keep saving the dough!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2013 20:51:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jul 2013 21:15:05 BDT
West25 says:
I fell off the wagon again this morning, I took full advantage of the 2 blu-rays for £10 offer that's on at the moment. I ended up getting 6 for £30, but they would have cost around £54 if not on offer. I got Moon, Pulp Fiction, Chungking Express, The Seventh Seal, The Tree Of Life and Sympathy for Mr . Vengeance. I like the chase as well, sometimes I buy a film that I only have a slight interest in, it's more about adding it to the collection rather than really wanting it. I also have phases where I really get into a certain sub-genre or director and buy loads of dvds, before I know it I move on to something else but still have films I didn't watch.

I really don't feel guilt anymore when I spend loads of money on films, it's my money and I know I'm going to get plenty of enjoyment from them. I'm single though, whereas you have a girlfriend and daughter, so I can see your predicament. As for prices on here, it's been years since I bought new releases, now and then when I really want something and I fear the price will go up after release, I'll pre-order. I pre-ordered the Zombie Flesh Eaters steelbook Blu-ray, and the price has since gone through the roof. I tend to wait and pick films up cheap, as there's always loads I want until the new one goes cheap enough.

I haven't seen a single episode of Breaking Bad, but my brother raves about it every time I see him. I believe the latest season has been announced as being the last, so when the complete box set comes out and lowers in price, I'll be there circling like a vulture.

I'd be lying if I claimed to know anything about Scientology, but I'm surprised so many people have a problem with it, as far as I'm concerned, it's just as silly believing in one religion as it is any other. I am eager to see The Master though, as I normally enjoy Anderson's films. I may not be a religious person myself, but I have no problem enjoying films that deal with the subject.

The whole point of having a dvd or Blu-ray collection is so you can re-watch films several times, but it's hard with the sheer amount I now own. I roughly worked it out a while back that if I watched 2 films a night from my collection, it would take me around 6 years to watch them, that's not including the several dozen tv shows that I own, the mighty Columbo box set takes up a good 6-8 weeks, that's not watching anything but Columbo. It's amazing that I've seen everything I've already got except for a dozen or so films that have been buried amongst the rest, many of them I've seen multiple times.

I thought the Total Recall remake was pretty decent, but is a long way short of Paul Verhoeven's classic original, I'm sure that will also apply to Robocop when it comes out. Beckinsale for me, but I wouldn't exactly be unhappy to settle for Biel. One of those win-win situations where you can't lose. That Martha Marcy May Marlene looks good, it received a ridiculous amount of praise and award nominations, Elizabeth Olsen is really stepping out of the large shadow of her sisters now and appears to be the one with genuine acting talent. She is in the upcoming Oldboy remake which has had early praise from a rough cut that was shown, so you may want to watch the original before it's released, it's a brilliant film by the way.

Posted on 2 Jul 2013 21:41:09 BDT
mister joe says:
Why did I think you had seen Breaking BAD?I think I have confused it with the fact you have seen Eastbound And Down....even though they are completely different programmes.I think you will like it and I hope that little nugget I spoke won't ruin anything for you.
I feel I fully know whats in store with Recall.As I have said before I get a cheap thrill out of these sausage factory remakes,but when you think of it they never seem to get the sort of maverick directors that the originals had.
They always seem to border on hacks for hire.Sam Bayer who directed Elm Street remake was a prospect I was excited by as I really like his music video work but I felt you only saw a shard of his style in that movie,the scene where the guys in the pharmacy is it being dragged.I didn't mind that Elm Street to be honest,fun and wicked to see Krueger on a big cinema screen as I was never old enough for the first run.
Yep all religions can be placed alongside as equally far fetched but there is a rather sinister undercurrent to the scientology.You leave or write something negative they will try to ruin your life.Most times succeeding.The book has all the facts etc.
I may have to check out Battlefield Earth movie!
The what you watch forum seems to have slowed down hasn't it?I did enquire about your whereabouts but realised you were takin a break.Oldboy I know is extremely revered and I am looking forward to seeing it.The guy who made that has a Hollywood film coming out on dvd called Stoker which will be added to my when its a fiver list.
I am thinking you are correct in Beckinsale though Biel has a special place in my heart for her turn running round in jean shorts in Texas Chainsaw,which theres another one out isn't there.ANOTHER one to the five pound list!
It never ends West25!
Columbo just rules.I was saying to the other half last night when a trailer for csi came up how Columbo never can be topped.
I hate the frenetic editing,the faceless characters.....I adore the whole pace of Columbo.
I got my other half hooked on Columbo when we first got together.
West25.....best episode....top 2 or 3 if you like.
Just ordered another bloomin dvd The Fall with Gillian Anderson.

Posted on 2 Jul 2013 21:44:37 BDT
mister joe says:
Oh forgot to say the Maniac remake was out this week,9 squid in supermarket.It got a very good review if I remember correctly in Total Film,apparently its shot point of vision.Its got Elijah Wood on the cover with blood on his face,looks like an 80s case which I suppose is fitting.Looks like this might buck the trend of remakes though its a much more low key,much more a remake of a cult movie.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2013 00:01:58 BDT
West25 says:
I think we may have spoke briefly about Breaking Bad, we definitely talked about Eastbound and Down which I think is hilarious. You haven't ruined it for me at all, I already know the basic plot is him having cancer, and then making and selling drugs with a former student of his.

I always have a bit of a whinge when I discover that yet another film I love is getting remade, but I enjoy a lot more of them than I don't. I also enjoyed the Nightmare On Elm Street remake, it wasn't great but it did enough to keep me entertained. It doesn't help that they hire hacks as you said, at least years ago remakes would be done like The Fly with Cronenberg and The Thing with Carpenter, proper directors that genuinely cared about the material and loved the originals despite their flaws.

Scientology doesn't sound all that inviting, want to leave and they'll destroy you. That's not too far from getting a new job where you know if you ever decide to leave, they'll make sure you can never get another job, I just wouldn't bother at all. I've never seen Battlefield Earth, I've obviously heard multiple times how bad it is, but I've got a sneaky feeling I'll actually enjoy it.

The what did you watch forum really annoyed me, every single post I was making was being marked down which I didn't mind, but then I started getting a lot of negs on my reviews as well. I basically had a big rant and stated exactly what I thought of whoever was marking me down, then amazon removed my comment, so then I deleted everything I ever put on there and vowed never to return, which I haven't. The negs on my reviews slowed right down as well once I stopped going on there, plus it was annoying when you try and start a conversation, a debate, and no one responds, they just list what they watched and that's it.

My earliest memory of Jessica Biel was Texas Chainsaw, those low jeans and that tank top, unforgettable. Beckinsale just edges it for me. Apparently the new Texas Chainsaw is pretty poor, but the fact it continues from where Tobe Hooper's original finished makes it something that has to be seen.

Columbo is absolutely brilliant, Peter Falk was fantastic and really did become Columbo. I don't think I have a top 2 or 3 episodes as it's one of the few shows that was almost consistently brilliant up until some of the later episodes. There are certain episodes that always come to mind when I think of Columbo, the Donald Pleasence one, the kidnapping episode with Ray Milland is great, the Johnny Cash episode, I have a lot of love for the several Patrick McGoohan episodes, with the military academy one being the standout. The show as a whole was just fantastic, CSI and all the others are too cold and clinical to ever match Columbo.

I'm excited about Maniac, Nelson Viper who I believe you know on here did a good 4 star review for it a while back where he says that this isn't like a lot of other remakes, this one actually attempts to do something and has a lot more going for it than most.

Posted on 4 Jul 2013 01:55:25 BDT
mister joe says:
Alright West I thought you'd had enough of forum.You've probably seen with me that I have thrown toys out of my pram a couple of times.You cannot help but get personally offended,especially with the negs.No matter what review I write for whatever film,book,cd some guy will neg me.Its really frustrating and annoying.As sad as its sounds I get well chuffed if I I write a review and 3 or so people vote for it.Pleases my fragile ego no end when I see say something like my [Herzogs]Death Row dvd get a 5 out of 5 thumbs up.
,however go back a few months later and theres the lone neg.Maybe I am paranoid but when its always one you start thinkin.
I think its easy to spot tactical from the genuine.
Also I found Last Night forum aggravating i'd[I don't wish to sound like a martyr I apologise if I do]but I would try many times to sort of instigate conversation,even asking direct posters questions....then nada!!!Saying that I do sometimes assume what I find interesting must mean others find it interesting....which is stupid.I dunno...its funny how you an get kind of dragged into feeling quite negative,angry,despondent by a shopping site!!!
Theres been times where I have felt totally dejected,so irrational,by debates you can fall into.I think forums are ok but I am a bit more dubious about them now,it always breaks down into black,white,right and wrong.
If someone annoys me I just invest so much time in defending my corner its embarrassing.Rather then conversing with like minded people I end up talking to these sort of laddish lads who I will never see eye to eye with.
A chronic problem I have is how people read the posts I write.I like to write abrasively but theres always a bit of humour in there but it don't translate.I always try to keep my insults sort of playground like.....you wear coudrouy trousers,wear a thick anorak....
but its quite shocking the responses you get.
Really personal.
Anyway my plan is to sort of go back to how I first used the site.My temperament is not suited to mass communication!
I think I would enjoy Battlefield too.Travolta looks funky.I hope you know by the way West that I have no problem with peoples religion,beliefs,ideas of god,atheist....whatever.If it makes someone happy or life easier I am all for it.
I don't know where I stand on any of it,its a subject far too big and complex for me to be arrogant enough to answer.For me you could pray at the alter of a Big Mac and as long as no one was hurt,upset I say live and let live.
Nowadays in this day and age we all need something.I actually find it really repulsive and offensive when you see these forums where posters mock religious people or what have you.
I have known a few people who have had hideous tragedies and if praying or whatever helps go for it.Anyway I didn't want it to sound like I was saying "believing in Scientology is wrong,stupid...." I was talking more about what I have been reading in this book which has been written by a pretty credible writer.The techniques,the pressure etc.Surprised you have not seen about some of this stuff.
Oh I managed to pick up The Master today...5 quid...result.
Amazon have got a bit more strident in their deleting but sometimes there seems to be no logic.I have read what I thought are profoundly offensive things[mentioned earlier about religious thing]goes unnoticed.I think its down to tone rather then content.
But trust me West I've had complaints,reported etc.But I always say go ahead because I always will make sure if a argument gets heated I talk in general terms or use infantile names as opposed to personal stuff.....but I have largely moved away from that now.
I am of the thought now that my reviews indicate and say much more about me then posting on a forum.
Columbo you can't really have a top 3.....its a rich series.Ones that spring instantly to mind are Rosebud one,Leonard Nimoy stitch one,wine cork one.So many!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2013 05:28:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2013 06:19:15 BDT
West25 says:
I've seen you spit your dummy out a few times on the forums, I think that's normally more because of the lack of humour in other people and no one really wanting to have any sort of meaningful discussion, people just seem to love lists. All the posts on the what did you watch forum were getting marked down for a while, and then suddenly it was just mine. Like you say, it's hard not to be personally offended or annoyed that you seem to be getting targeted by someone who has a grudge but doesn't have the cojones to say what their problem is. It is a bit sad, but it's nice when you look at a review you've done and see that ten out of ten people have found it helpful, what annoyed me is that I had a few like that, then suddenly in the space of a few days they all suddenly had a neg, almost embarrassing to admit, but my blood boiled. That's why I stopped going on there, I'd rather just talk to the few people that I do under their reviews.

We first came across each other on here when you had a bit of a go on a forum I was on, but unlike most, I actually saw some humour in it and knew it was a bit of a wind up. I've had a lot of fun in the past going through some of the comments under your reviews, some people really take it too far and I'm amazed how many people take it as a personal insult that you don't happen to love a show that they do. Don't get me started on the "if you didn't like it, why are you writing a review for it?" people.

I've been using this site now for about ten years, only in the past two years have I started reviewing and using the forums, I'm still going to do reviews when I feel like it, but my days of using the forums came to a permanent end a few months ago.

I never for a second thought you had a problem with religious people, I think you view religion in a very similar way to myself. I'm not religious, I don't need or want religion in my life, I sometimes think it's crazy what some people will do in the name of religion, but it does have its place. Many things happen to people and religion helps them through it, I think if it helps them then fantastic, I'm genuinely pleased they've found something that helps them to live their lives, and I certainly wouldn't mock anyone who believes in it no matter how silly I think it is. What I really don't like are the fanatics that try to force what they believe on other people, and I really don't like people telling me that I'm a sinner and I'm going to burn because I choose not to live life like they do. I respect that they believe in God, I should be afforded the same respect in my choice not to believe in God. You have me intrigued to an extent about Scientology, not in the way that I'm thinking of joining it, but I may want to educate myself on what it's about.

£5 for The Master, not a bad price at all, feel free to let me know what you thought of it. I'm extremely tempted to spend the weekend revisiting several Columbo episodes, the problem is which episodes to watch. It takes up far too much time to go through the whole thing, especially as I have several films and a few tv shows on their way to me soon that I've never seen. The wine episode is the great Donald Pleasence episode I loved, if I remember correctly, the Nimoy one was something to do with research in a hospital and was really good. Is the rosebud episode the brilliant one where two dogs were trained to attack and kill someone after hearing the phone go and then hearing a word said? I assume rosebud was the word if that's the episode I think it is. It's all good anyway.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›