5.0 out of 5 stars This is the future, 15 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Acer Iconia W510 10.1-inch Tablet with Keyboard-Silver (Intel Atom Z2760, 2Gb RAM, 64Gb SSD, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
The Iconia W510 is the future and a short trip in the past will help explain:-

I am an expert computer user who started out in computing in 1971, I have no fear of technology and enjoy change nevertheless, my main computer is still a trusty 10-year old Dell Dimension 4600 running Windows XP. This desktop machine has been updated with everything I can get to work under XP, both software and hardware - but it can literally go no further!

I (and apparently there are millions like me) have stuck with XP because neither Vista nor Windows 7 delivered enough benefit to justify the investment of money and effort to upgrade. I have also gone (several times) down the laptop road which is much-littered with my not-so-old but very dead or at least very redundant machines.

My only other "computing" companions are my Apple iPhone 4 and iPad 2. The iPhone has become an essential tool for me but the iPad is really just an iPhone with a bigger screen (but without the phone). Nevertheless, despite its lack of storage and connectivity, it is the machine I take on holiday to keep in touch with the world.

The Iconia W510 with Windows 8 is a game-changer - you see, it is a fusion of my Dell desktop and my iPad.

It (and machines like it) are the future because they bring the power of real computing to an iPad-like device.

Firstly let's look at what it can do that an iPad simply can't:-

1. You can store your stuff on it - if you get a microSD card then you can store a lot of stuff on it
2. You can get your stuff on and off it very easily (it has a thing called a USB)
3. You can use a Bluetooth mouse
4. You can easily print stuff from it to any printer
5. Your stuff can be secure (passwords, encryption, hidden folders)
6. It has a battery that can last at least as long as the fuel in an A380
7. Its battery is good enough for self-powered hard drives, DVD drives etc

Add to all this the fact that you can run real business applications and the iPad becomes yet another piece of redundant technology (I can't bear to consign my trusty Dell to the scrapheap just yet!)

As well as the Iconia W510, I bought some other equipment to create a complete solution to my needs which others may find of interest.

First, I got a Western Digital My Passport 1TB hard drive. This is self-powered either by the USB port on the keyboard or the micro USB port on the screen. I've used smaller My Passport drives and they are 100% reliable. 1TB is far bigger than I need but these disks is so cheap now there's no point in going smaller.

Second, I bought a Samsung SE-208AB DVD Writer. Again this is self-powered via either USB and gives me easy access to all the stuff that I still have on DVD. I could have got a Blue-ray version but couldn't really justify the extra cost

Third, I added a couple of Sandisk 32GB micro SD cards to my order - they are cheaper than a single 64GB and give me more flexibility. They are darned small, easy to lose and you look like a secret agent when you use them though.

Fourthly, a micro HDMI to HDMI cable because that way you can watch any movies or TV programs you have stored on a your micro SD card on a full size TV, alternatively you could work on the bigger screen if necessary.

Finally, I bought the Poetic Flexbook case which fits the W510 like a hand-made glove and looks really good. It certainly protects the machine very well while allowing access to all the ports etc. I could have done with a user manual as it not immediately obvious how to fit it on. The only downside is it quite heavy and tends to make the Iconia tip back when angling the screen.

I had the Bluetooth mouse already (it's a Trust laser model) and for me it's essential because I use CAD software which needs more precision than a podgy finger can provide.

Do I have any criticisms of the Iconia W510?

Sure, a faster processor would be nice but with that would come heat, the need for a fan, lower reliability and less battery life. If Intel could make a 3GHz Atom with the same power consumption as the 1.8GHz no-one would be complaining.

The mix of plastics looks slightly cheap (although I quite like the look) but the engineering overall seems very sturdy - time will tell.

There's a few things about Windows 8 I could criticise but this is a product which is going to evolve very rapidly so anything I say risks being out-of-date in no time at all. Without doubt it is a worthwhile replacement for XP and, in my view, will soon become the de facto operating system and remain so for some considerable time.

Finally, I should just say that unpacking the Iconia W510 is a wonderful experience and the delivery from Amazon was within 3 days.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Apr 2013, 19:13:11 BST
Is it easy to install MS Office on it? Does it have to be downloaded? I want to connect to a VGA projector connector. Sorry for the questions but I'm going round in circles trying to find a convertible laptop/tablet. I understand there's a Iconia W700 now so has the W500 already been upgraded?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2013, 10:08:34 BST
Hi there,
One of the things I have found out since writing this review is that the Windows 8 which comes with the Iconia provides legacy support of applications from older Windows systems (notably XP) - this even includes a 16-bit run-time subsystem, in which case you shouod be able install your old MS Office (assuming you still have the installation disk and a USB CD/DVD drive to plug into the Iconia). Note this feature is not available on Windows 8 RT or Windows 8 PRO.
As for the VGA projector you will need an active HDMI to VGA cable. It is called active because it will need to convert digital to analogue. Amazon sell them - here is one;-

HDMI TO VGA Cable Adapter for PC Laptop Power-Free, Raspberry Pi, MHL support

Finally, the W700 came out before the W510, it is a larger format and does not have the same battery life as the W510.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2013, 10:21:29 BST
you are brilliant, thanks. I've now finally decided what to do.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2013, 10:32:46 BST
Packidge says:
No problem - happy to help.
Just one other thing in a similar vein, the Iconia (in common with many tablets) has no RJ45 port (for ADSL cable).
Again Amazon sell USB to RJ45 adaptors to get you out of trouble!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2013, 15:46:30 BST
Me again! Why would I need a ADSL cable? I thought that was just for connecting wifi modem to telephone line? Is there another reason for connecting tablet? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2013, 15:51:09 BST
Packidge says:
It's true that most of the time you will be probably be using wi-fi but you may have noticed that some hotels do not have wi-fi in the bedrooms (or it doesn't work very well) and they often provide an ADSL socket. With this adaptor and an ADSL cable you will be able to cable-connect and surf at high speed.
I received my adaptor today but have not yet tried it out!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2013, 16:18:46 BST
Packidge says:
Just to let you know that I have tried the ADSL/USB adaptor and it works fine. I should perhaps day that it is more correct to call this an Ethernet/USB adaptor since ADSL really refers to the phone line after the router and not the connection between computer and router.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2013, 18:14:12 BST
Hi it's me again. have purchased this and am awaiting deliver. However you say in this post that I need an HDMI to VGA cable adapter for my ppt presentations. Does it have a full size HDMI port or a mini one please?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2013, 22:33:04 BST
Packidge says:
Hi. It actually has a micro HDMI port but you can get a micro HDMI to full size HDMI cable.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2013, 07:51:30 BST
So isn't there a micro hdmi to vga cable, without me getting 2cables?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›