on 24 October 2008
Squeeze have produced some terrific albums in the 500 years they've been with us, from the punchy "Cool For Cats" to the beautiful "Play". Sadly, this really isn't one of them.

I read a couple of interviews Difford and Tilbrook gave after the release of "Ridiculous", their previous (and infinitely better) recording. They had a theme in common - branching out, doing something different, maybe even a little daring. What they ended up giving us in fact was a tired-sounding re-hash of an earlier style (it reminded me in parts of "Sweets From A Stranger"). They'd also given the impression in these interviews that they were frustrated at not making more of an impact on the charts. "Domino" offered nothing that would have got close to a top-twenty hit (although "Bonkers" and the title track could have done decently enough with a lot more work and a bit of sparkle; although "Donkey Talk" reveals a band suffering from a complete lack of passion).

After a string of superb studio albums including "Play", "Some Fantastic Place" and "Ridiculous", I was disappointed to see that the last thing they produced before splitting up and saying 'never again' was one of their worst. In the book "Squeeze: Song By Song" both Glenn and Chris said basically the same thing. This album shouldn't have been made; or should have been made better.

I was actually a little saddened that instead of choosing to carry on and redeem themselves with far superior material, or choosing to go out on a real high note such as "Ridiculous", one of the best bands ever to brighten our airwaves gave us something mediocre to try to forget rather than remember them by, and dissolved into in-fighting after a creative low.

I'll remember Squeeze by all the wonderful singles I bought, I'll remember them by those fantastic albums they gave us, and I'll remember them from going to half a dozen of their live shows, and loving them. I just worry that an album that would normally be branded 'forgettable' will linger on in the memory for longer than I, my friends, and the band themselves would want it to.
What's this?