on 27 April 2012
I ordered this case with a sense of trepidation having read the other reviews. But I knew the elastic across the corners on the other cases would really start to grate and then I'd end up ordering this one anyway.

It arrived today and I have to say I'm thrilled with it and am so glad I went with my instincts. I'm pleased with the colour (olive green). It's not too garish and it's not black or tan. It does feel like leather so I'm not sure why people have said it feels plasticy. Maybe because it's smooth and doesn't have the texture that some leather covers have.

The front cover sits flat against the screen, it doesn't ping back up when closed and it can fold behind the Kindle when it's open (though maybe in time this would stop it lying flat against the screen). I know some people have complained about the lack of a fastening, but I didn't want one of these anyway as it would have made the case bulkier than it is now. And yes, the kindle wording is a nice touch.

It seems as if Amazon have deliberately kept the case as streamlined as possible. It's almost exactly the same size as the Kindle and adds very little extra bulk. I think it looks very stylish and I'm pleased I bought it. If I'd got a cheaper one and then had seen someone else with this I'd have definitely been envious.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in previous reviews is that the back of the case is moulded plastic, which the Kindle sits in with a rubber seal around the edge to hold it in. It seems as though this is designed to protect the Kindle from knocks etc as it feels quite substantial and protective. The downside to this is that it does make the case heavier than maybe another one would be. It's light on its own, 118g, but adds another 50% to the weight of the Kindle. I've had the Kindle without a case for almost a week now so I've got used to it being light and it does feel heavier in the case (which is why I weighed it out of interest). But I'd rather keep it in the case for the protection and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Yes, it's more expensive than the other cases. But I think it's one of those things that once you've bought it, you'll soon forget how much you paid for it.
93 people found this helpful