on 22 October 2013
I have to say that if I was going to be stranded on a desert island, I would only need Randy singing "One day I'll fly away" and I could live a happy life. That song has the power to take me places I can only dream of. If you're looking for another song like that on this 2 disc set, then you're going to leave disappointed. If, however, you love Randy's voice and have an open mind to the songs she sings here, then I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Let's get the negatives out of the way - neither of these albums were massive fan favourites, particularly Abstract Emotions. The latter has a very 80's sound and is rather synth heavy; a massive departure from the sound Randy's fans were used to at that time. Personally, I think we have to accept that this was 'the' sound of the age and all Randy did was tap into it. Listen to it again and if you can get past the synthesisers, you have an album of pure dance/pop with a few ballads in there for good measure, particularly the superb "Almaz".

"Windsong" is a slightly different beast, as it was produced in part by Cecil and Linda Womack, who did some sterling work on side 2 of the album. Not as synth heavy as its successor, there are some fine songs on here and Randy's voice sounds just as perfect as it ever has.

The bonus tracks are the reason I bought this collection, mainly because I'm trying to reduce m massive stockpile of 12" singles - so "Nightline" and "Desire" can be sold and I have some superb sounding CD versions. These albums may not be for every Randy fan, particularly the purists, but if you're a fan of 80's pop/dance, you're gonna love these classy albums from a woman whose voice is the equivalent of an aural massage.
What's this?