Learn more Download now Shop now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now flip flip flip Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 9 August 2013
Paid £19.50 with free postage. I use them with an iPod Nano.

Good: Excellent sound on the move at an entry-level price. Comfy ear pads. Robust, low-tangle cable.
Bad: Head band hinge digs into scalp. Fairly flimsy. Noise reduction is a gimmick – expected at the price.

Sound Quality: Bass 8/10, Mid 3/10, Treble 7/10. The bass has rolling clout rather than punch but is not boomy and overpowering. Good for electronic music so good for me. I also own a pair of similarly priced Sennheiser HD202’s. An audiophile might tell you that the 202’s are a better balanced unit but for listening on a train or plane the NC150’s are able to deliver more of the sounds I like.

Comfort: The over ear cups are very comfortable; I can wear them for at least 2 hours without aching lugs. The only major gripe I have with the product is that the hinge on the head band digs into my balding nut. This can be fixed with a hat, probably with good hair too.

Build Quality: They feel flimsy. Cheap plastics on the head band and hinges, the focus must have been on sound quality rather than build. I’m going to buy a carry case (£6.99) because if I don’t they’ll probably get damaged in transit. If a hard case had been included at a higher price it would have made an excellent package. The included imitation leather carry pouch is a good to keep everything tied together but won’t stop them getting crushed in a bag. The cable quality is very good and it doesn’t tangle easily.

Noise Cancelling: Uses one AAA battery. The description on the box says ‘Ultra effective active noise reduction technology filters out external noise to improve audio quality’. They must have a different understanding of ultra effective than me. The effect is minimal, the sound of keyboard typing is successfully suppressed but a knock on a door only has the edge taken off it. I’m inclined to believe that the mechanism works more like a loudness button found on an old hi-fi. When the noise cancelling is turned off bass and treble are simply reduced so noise cancellation is essentially achieved by making the music louder. Ultimately I don’t care because I didn’t buy them for this function, but it is clear that there is less electronic noise reduction than the mechanical effect of the closed-cup design. A gimmick I’d say.
3 people found this helpful