Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 12 September 2013
I have two of the StarTech 3.5 inch 4 Drive eSATA USB Multi Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure (SAT3540U2E) and I can recommend them unreservedly - based on my experience. They are easy to set up, very quiet relative to most other equivalent units, and they have a compact footprint. They are also really excellent value for the money and contrary to what others say they are amazingly well constructed given the price.

I use them through the eSata facility using a 4-port expansion card which of course is port-multiplier aware - necessary for these units. They do also of course work through USB but much more slowly.

I have 4 x 2TB discs in one unit and 3 x 2TB + 1 x 1TB in the other. The first unit is used for Time machine backups and the second unit is a backup (a copy) of the first for security purposes. SuperDuper is used to keep the second unit up-to-date. This arrangement permitted me to dispense with my Drobo FS which in concept is a wonderful idea, but in reality, for anything other than basic small scale applications it is a nightmare. I am glad to get rid of it.

For information, I supply the following to help others decide if the StarTech units will be compatible with their systems. I couldn't find this information anywhere on the web and neither SonnetTech support or StarTech support could give me a definitive answer prior to purchase.

I have two of the the StarTech 3.5 inch 4 Drive eSATA USB Multi Bay External Hard Drive Enclosures (SAT3540U2E) and I have been using them successfully attached to a Mac Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 (MacOS 10.5.8) though a Sonnet Tempo SATA X4P expansion card. Both also work perfectly on my 17" MacBook Pro (MacOS 10.6.8) when connected via a Sonnet Tempo Sata ExpressCard/34. The chipset (EXAR - XRS10L240) on this StarTech unit is thus compatible with Sonnet's excellent although expensive expansion cards.

For information, however, I also know, from experience, that the Sonnet Tempo SATA X4P expansion card does not work with arrays/units which use the PLX/Oxford - OXUFS936QSE chip set - which is used in the StarTech 3.5in 4 Drive eSATA USB FireWire External SATA RAID (S354UFER). I purchased one of these StarTech units in the past. The S354UFER does however work with the Sonnet Tempo Sata ExpressCard/34. Also for the record the S354UFER is an impressive performer with built in Raid. I can recommend the S354UFER without reservation.
What's this?