Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

5.0 out of 5 stars Transcend SDHC 8GB 10 class on Canon EOS 550D, 29 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Transcend 8GB Premium SDHC Class 10 Memory Card (up to 20MB / s read) (Personal Computers)
I'm very pleased with my purchase. I looked around on the web and found this to be the cheapest I found. I decided to go with class 10 to ensure no issues with recording HD video because the mimimum is a class 6. I have used this SD card in my Canon EOS 550D camera for a month taking many pictures and videos with no issues and I'm very pleased.

Also was posted quickly so overall very pleased.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Dec 2010 14:02:09 GMT
Hi, thanks for the review. I was just wondering how much recording time you were able to get with the 8GB card recording at what I assume is 720p HD?

Posted on 26 Dec 2010 14:03:46 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Dec 2010 14:03:55 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2010 12:17:13 GMT
I have this camera and card and will answer this query for you. These times are in minutes:seconds with a completly low level formatted 8GB card (the same one as this amazon item)
1080p (1920x1080) at 25 or 24fps gives 23:04
720p (1280x720) at 50fps gives 23:04
480p (640x480) at 50fps gives 29:59

Please note that the times for 1080p and 720p are identical as 720p films at twice the frame rate of 1080p countering out the decrease of resolution. 720p can only film at 50fps (UK/PAL) or 60fps (US/NTSC)

Hope this helps if you have any other questions I'm happy to help you out :)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2011 11:54:46 GMT
Thank you very much Kit: extremely helpful! If I have any other queries I'll definitely contact you :)

Posted on 13 Feb 2011 13:05:05 GMT
Thanks for your review - question (help) please:

Just ordered the Canon Ixus 210 (partly for HD video recording) and am looking at buying a new card. Torn between:
Sandisk 8GB 20MB/s Extreme Video HD SDHC Card (Class 6) and the Transcend.

Just needed to understand whether I want the HD option on the Sandisk versus the Class 10 of the Transcend - and noticed you'd mentioned going for the Class 10 for HD video. Please let me know which you think I should go for. As I use the video primarily for recording dance routines so need sound & vision to be in sync (if that makes a difference).

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2011 17:34:50 GMT

Just had a quick look at the camera you mentioned (Ixus 210) and buying the Sandisk Extreme card would be overkill and a waste of your money as the camera only records up to low-end High Definition (that is 1080 pixels by 720 pixels) which is half the resolution of the camera being talked about originally here so this card will be more than fast enough for you - it's actually faster than the Sandisk.

The Class 10 of Transcend does have a 'HD option' it just isn't branded as such but in general any card at Class 6 or above is adequate for HD video. It isn't an option that you turn on it's just how the manufacturers choose to market their cards.

I think you should go for this card as it's much cheaper (half the price if I remember rightly) and will be more than fast enough. As far as visual/audio sync goes this won't be a problem but what you must remember is that:
a) As this is primarily a stills camera with video function the videos won't be as good as those from a built for purpose video camera (even if the resolution for both is the same). As I've said to others if you want a video camera buy a video camera not a stills camera with video function. If you want a stills camera with the option to do video when needed then this camera you've mentioned is fine.
b) The way these cameras record video means that if you are recording at the highest video quality of the camera the video will not be able to last (on average) any more than 10 minutes - that is to say you will have to start recording again after 10 minutes has elapsed meaning this camera is not good for just leaving on auto at the back of an auditorium for example to capture an entire ballet! Also this card will most likely not be able to fit any more than 30 minutes on it (this amount depends on shooting conditions though)

Hope this helps feel free to ask any other questions :)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2011 22:06:08 GMT
@K.R.Mackenzie - What a superstar you are. Huge thanks for your fantastic, detailed response to my questions. VERY MUCH appreciated. Transcend is now on order (actually I have the very same card on my current Ixus 870is - the third Ixus I've owned). And yes, the video will be just fine for me as I use it for short clips of dance choreography - 30 seconds or so, couple of minutes max; have been doing this for the past 5 years with various Ixus'. Works perfectly as I don't wish to have a video camera as I like the convenience of the Ixus. Really glad to have the education re HD, audio sync etc. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2011 15:03:06 GMT
Glad I could help, enjoy the Ixus :)

Posted on 24 Feb 2011 17:10:36 GMT