3.0 out of 5 stars Seventh studio album for Canadian rockers..., 21 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Here And Now (Audio CD)
I'm going to do something quite unique with this review. I fancy myself as a bit of a music critic (see my other reviews) and so for this album I'm going to review it twice, once from my personal perspective and then again from a critical one.

Personal Review - 3.5 Stars

Like most people, I was immediately drawn to Nickelback back in 2001 when their smash hit single "How You Remind Me" propelled them into the musical mainstream. It seemed to be on the radio for an eternity, and can still be frequently heard today.
Since that point Nickelback have consistently churned out mainstream sounding rock records, none of them have been particularly groundbreaking but it's music people like to hear and that's why they sell millions of copies every time.

"Here & Now" is essentially the same as its predecessor, "Dark Horse." Nickelback know the formula, it's not very big or bold, but it's catchy, melodic and it's made for mainstream radio.
Songwriting leaves a lot to be desired though, Chad throws in an abundance of sexual innuendo in his lyrics, see tracks "Midnight Queen" "Gotta Get Me Some" and "Everything I Wanna Do" as prime examples.
Semi acoustic "When We Stand Together" is a decent song and a good choice as lead single, but as is tradition for Nickelback it's on those ballads that they produce their best work, "Lullaby" and "Trying Not To Love You" ooze single potential.

It's quite a short record, at just eleven tracks it's all done in just under 40 minutes, at the time of writing I'm not aware of any bonus tracks that normally accompany most records these days.

Will it win Nickelback any new fans? Probably not. Anyone expecting musical miracles with any new Nickelback record will be sadly disappointed, but take it for what it is and you'll most likely enjoy it.
I did just that - it's exactly what I expected, nothing more and absolutely nothing less.

Music Critic Review - 1 Star

When I first heard the new Nickelback record, I knew exactly what to expect.
Unsurprisingly then, I wasn't surprised at all.
If you've heard any Nickelback records in the last few years then "Here And Now" is absolutely no different.

There's only so much of the same you can take - Nickelback are so unmistakably predictable it's worse than night and day.
Anyone would think Chad can't write a song without throwing in some uncomfortable, questionable and suggestive lyrics about either sex, drugs, or drink.
Can't he think of something different to write about? Didn't he cover all that on "Dark Horse?" See "Shakin' Hands," "Something in Your Mouth" and "S.E.X" in case anyone needs reminding.

It's tiresome now and overused, even ballad wise there's nothing that Nickelback haven't covered a million times before.
Nickelback's sound used to be a lot rawer and heavier than this, especially their material before they broke into the mainstream - see the "Curb" and "Hesher" albums from the 90's. You're left longing for a return to this sound - but I suppose their never going to change a formula that sells millions of copies worldwide.

None of that detracts from the fact though that "Here And Now" is simply awful. Once you've listened to it and picked the bones out you're left with a very unpleasant sound in your ears.
It doesn't matter which way you want to spin it, or which side of the fence you sit on, Nickelback have been awful for years and "Here And Now" continues that trend, it is without question downright dreadful.

Summary:

So there you go, it's entirely up to you which review you agree with.
As I've said from a personal point of view it's an enjoyable record and one that I have listened too, and I'm sure will continue to do so.
But once I switch my critics head on I can't escape from the fact that it's an appalling record, although that doesn't have to mean that I can't listen to it and enjoy it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Nov 2011, 00:43:06 GMT
Nail on the head

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2011, 00:45:53 GMT
Thanks for your comment Ashley, it's very much a love/hate relationship with Nickelback.

Posted on 21 Nov 2011, 13:14:45 GMT
Nickelback are a band who I simply buy the record regardless of the slammings they get. The critcs who 'rate' their music dont even listen to it. Their just idiots drunk on their own egos thinking they are to 'advanced' to like Nickelback. I have mates who are the same. They just say the band suck simply cos they want to think that. Most of them havent heard a single Nickelback song since 2001.

Every single record they release excites me and immediately gets me going. Yes, the lyrics about sex and drink are a little tiring but I still enjoy the songs. Lullaby is a fantastic song on this record and like all the other albums there is always one or two absolute gems in there.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2011, 22:07:51 GMT
I think your comment about the critics who slate Nickelback are wrong, all critics who review an album for a website or magazine have listened to at least once.
Nickelback aren't a great rock band, but they do deliever catchy tunes that fit well for mainstream radio.
They do nothing more, critics slate them because they are so much better than the music they actually deliver.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2011, 17:26:47 GMT
Haven't heard a single Nickelback song since 2001? Not even 'Rockstar'?
I'm jealous of them.

Posted on 5 Jan 2012, 09:13:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2012, 09:13:50 GMT
LaLaLottieR says:
And probably most critics listen to Lady Gaga....so they've no hope of reviewing an actual band!

Posted on 14 Jun 2012, 16:13:41 BST
Thanks for your review, I enjoyed the novel approach you used, also the way you reinforced my opinions about Nickleback in the Critical reveiw. Don't we just love having our opinions reinforced? I'm not a Nickleback fan and have never listened to a whole album.(Sorry Mr Horner) The problem is, that I struggle to enjoy even a brief moment of any of their singles. I find their sound durge-like, and uninteresting. I know some of the bands I like release sub par singles, but their best material is on the album (2nd and 3rd kings of leon albums an example). Would I be right in thinking that Nickleback singles are representative of the rest of the work on their albums? I am genuinly interested. I like to think of myself as a lover of music so "never say never" applies of course.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012, 16:23:56 BST
Last edited by the author on 14 Jun 2012, 16:24:08 BST
Nickelback's music has become mainstream rock ever since they broke through in 2001.
If you've heard any Nickelback single in the last ten years, then yes it sounds just like the rest of their album work.
Their lyrics have become more sexually suggestive and often refer to drink and drugs.
"Gotta Get Me Some," "Bottoms Up" and "Everything I Wanna Do" are major culprits here.
It's not brilliant to be honest, but it is listenable.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 17:58:00 BST
Thanks again for the reveiw and for your response. They have both been very helpfull.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›