on April 5, 2003
As a "would-be / want to be" children's writer, I found this book a vault of golden nuggets!
It really does deal with everything from where to start to getting published. From basics to building your career, it covers handy hints and tips for writing your book, presenting and submitting manuscripts, dos and dont's and what to avoid when writing children's books.
Moving on from the creative part, Aaron then goes on to give guidance on publishers and agents, contracts, promotion, pitfalls, what to expect and how far, as a new author, you can negotiate.
Throughout Aaron clarifies meanings of different writing terms, which is very useful to the novice. Using his own material, he provides examples of manuscripts, theatre scripts, promotional aids and flyers. I was particularly impressed with the picture book query method he used to find a publisher for several of his books.
There are a few American market referrals, but not enough to make it irrelevant to the British market. What is particularly useful is the further reading guides at the back of the book.
Favourable quoted reviews from other children's authors, publishers and editors, gives the impression this is a very accurate look at the vocation of writing for children. I loved this book so much I read it in a day! Clearly written and easy to understand it is my little bible that I carry everywhere - I think my friends are already sick of me saying "Aaron Shepard says..."
As I have never been published, I don't know how relevant this book is for already successful writers, but I would say it is a must for beginners!
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?