on 1 June 2013
Josh Anvil is a great kid. He loves his family, loves animals, loves fishing. He struggles with dyslexia and hates school. Then he becomes a superhero.

There are numerous delightful moments in this book; I especially enjoyed the folk stories and tall tales woven into the text, and they're part of the book's theme, too--you'll see why! I loved the Louisiana setting, especially the cypress marshlands. Overall, the characters are quirky and charming.

Although aimed at an older age bracket, Josh Anvil reminded me of the Edward Eager books, where children discover magic, and then get in complicated trouble with it. Josh handles his new powers with as much skill and discretion as any 14 year old would do, but that's not saying a lot.

I want to go back and see if all the teachers and other bit-part adults in the book have funny and punny names. I know I missed a few, before I realized that I had to say them out loud.

Since Josh Anvil and the Cypress Door is meant for middle-grade readers, I'm not part of the target audience. There were moments when the wish-fulfillment felt a little strong for my tastes. I'd roll my eyes and say to myself: "His parents are okay with his doing what?" But, back when I was a kid, that wouldn't have bothered me a bit. I'd have been daydreaming about having the same powers that Josh did. And the roller-coaster was spectacular! (I don't want to give away too much, but let's say that the whole place where the roller-coaster was, was spectacular.)

Overall, this book was a pleasure to read, filled with imagination. For me, it did not reach the top tier of 'children's books that are just as good for adults', but very few children's books do.

I was given a free copy of this e-book in exchange for an honest review.
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink