VINE VOICEon 30 May 2010
Half-way through this novel, I was so disappointed that I looked up its Amamzon reviews, found that they were all positive, and decided to carry on with it. Sadly, I haven't changed my views. This slim novel, based on the famous and tragic expedition to the South Pole, springs no surprises, nor did I expect any. But for me (and it seems I'm alone here) the characters never really came to life, the story skipped around too much - flashbacks, different viewpoints - and all in all I found it a very unsatisfactory read. The abrupt ending didn't help; I felt that so much more could have been made of the deterioration of the health and the conditions of the explorers during their heroic stuggle towards the end of their doomed expedition. When I reached the last page, I turned it over, expecting at least a little more, but that was it. I would love to know whether I'm alone in my opinion of this novel; is there anyone else out there who agrees with me?
55 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details