5.0 out of 5 stars The One to Beat., 8 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Dune (Paperback)
I know some people who hate the movie and will not touch this book. I know a few who own and love the movie but have never read the book. I have lent DUNE to friends who could get no further than page 20 because it was too "out there" or too difficult, with its array of characters and glossary of made-up terms. But of all the people who have gotten past page 20- I don't know one who doesn't praise it among their absolute favorites. I am no exception.
I love sci-fi but don't read much of it because I prefer fantasy. DUNE feels like a perfect blend of the two. A war of noble houses set in space. Paul Atreides is heir to the duchy- and to say that he is well trained for the job would be an understatement. His father, Duke Leto, is given charge of Arrakis- a hellish desert-world and the sole source of "the spice" which the entire universe needs. A very prestigious assignment, but treachery and peril comes with it. Paul finds himself thrown into the mystery of Dune and its fierce natives, the Fremen. Is he the savior their prophecy speaks of?
I was first blown away by DUNE at the age of 16, and have since considered it "the one to beat". In 8 years, very few books have made me question that judgment: Game of Thrones, Foundation, Lord of the Rings, Ender's Game. I had to reread it to be sure I wasn't just naÔve at the time. Was it really THAT great? Absolutely.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Feb 2011 23:11:04 GMT
Simonius says:
Very much in agreement with reviewer, the creation of a plausible desert planet ecology, noble houses, bad guys, 'lost' science - the whole vista is completely absorbing; I found the later sequels less readable and the prequels, explaining the origins (by other authors including family) have a false feel compared to the master! The movie did its best, but the original length was cut down, to allow for life, so the broad concept was spoilt. A book to re-read every few years.

Posted on 29 Mar 2011 20:53:08 BDT
D. Murphy says:
I read it when I was about 16 or so I think, mind blowing. Incredibly creative and a brilliant tale. The follow ups weren't so good, but this is one of the best. I would put it alongside Asimov's foundation series and the best of Orson Scott Card.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2011 12:19:03 BDT
M. Scott says:
I read this when I was younger, along with LotR, and found this infinitely better reading and much more immersive....while i'm not taking anything away from Tolkien, I think I was just a little too young to appreciate the intricacy of his works then. And while no TV, DVD or Big Screen adaptation has done this series justice so far even with todays modern cinema technology I think that is testament to how truly epic this series of books are and how much trouble it is to some them up in a few hours of screen time. Definately worth a read for anyone who is into sci-fi....this is it at it's best!

Posted on 16 May 2012 23:37:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 May 2012 23:39:45 BDT
Nickb says:
In my opinion this and the sequels are the most mind expanding and creative books ever written. I have studied literature across an extensive array and simply nothing comes close. It almost reads like a history of an alternate future it is that detailed and compelling coherent. Even the 4th book God Emperor of Dune I disliked at first but on second reading I realised I had missed the whole change in under current which you won't understand until the 5th book. A truly mind boggling feat. One example of the astonishing detail and incredible understatement of how intricately weaved - there is a small aside in the first book when Jessica reflects on how much the beams in large hall remind her of the hall in her Bene Gesserit school. 5 books later one of the Bene Gesserit sisters mentions the beams in passing in a conversation. Amazing scope and attention to detail.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2012 18:42:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Sep 2012 18:43:41 BDT
Anon says:
Cannot agree more. I keep going back and back to this book but lost interest as sequels emerged. Shame, could have kept me going to the grave. The original (Sting) movie was captivating ( name of director escapes me - Italian bloke) better than the re-makes I have seen but then again, I am guessing, that unless you have read the book, the whole movie is a bit of a mystery. Read the book, it is superb.

Posted on 2 Jan 2013 10:45:55 GMT
Watched the film on numerous occasions. Love it. Reading the book now and it fills in gaps and adds more content, but they largely follow the same story. Good book.

Posted on 14 Nov 2013 14:36:35 GMT
I notice you say that you're not really into sci-fi, but you like fantasy. That's interesting, because I dislike this book, and the reason I dislike it is basically that it is fantasy masquerading as sci-fi. The plot, involving a great deal of scheming between factions competing for monopoly over natural resources, reads like a cross between a medieval fantasy saga and a script from the 1980s soap opera, Dynasty. None of the science is realistic (not even the ecology, of which much is made), and psychic powers (very much a fantasy theme) feature prominently throughout.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2013 21:34:11 GMT
Suhaib Sufi says:
This is great Sci-Fi! its limited by the 'Jihad' on tech, well imho... which make sense in the Duniverse...
Doesn't the quoted remark from Arthur C. Clarke move you even a little in is regard? ;)
As to your point on ecology - fair enough you feel that way but its interesting to know that the Author actually work as an ecologist at around a same time as he wrote the earlier Dune books.
I just looked it up on Wikipedia, it states about Frank Herbert 'He worked in Vietnam and Pakistan as social and ecological consultant in 1972'

Posted on 22 Jan 2016 12:58:04 GMT
Joshua Smith says:
I absolutely agree. Through that first little section I flipping back and forth to the glossary a bit, but once finally through it was totally worth it
‹ Previous 1 Next ›