on 25 July 2012
I bought this Album when it first came out in 1957, I was the ripe old age of 11.
My mum could not understand my love for the art form JAZZ. Nor could I at the time. But understanding Monks dischordant work and amazingly laidback style never left me. My vinyl album has become what we laughingly refer to, as FRYING TONIGHT!(scratched)
So it is Truly a pleasure to relive my old feelings for this amazing album. A True Meeting Of Giants. Mulligan showed his great ability in the use of the lower registers of his Baritone.(But never enough, Sadly) Monk was always the master of the keyboard, never one to use too many notes when one would do, (a bit like Basie) But what a writer of time honoured tunes, eg, Round Midnight.He has played this piece with so many Jazzmen, but on this Album, IT IS THE BEST!
SO, using Amazons amazing service, rush and buy this album, While you can, (its also got Different takes,of tunes,not on the original vinyl.
If you love and understand Bop, or Bebop Jazz, GET IT!
0Comment| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?