on 28 June 2013
This book is simply wasting the scarce resources of our society. I bought this book owing to the word "complete" in the title and its concise size as I need to refresh my memory of the topic I had studied a decade ago for my upcoming exam. I had finished reading chapter 3 on consumer behaviour and the author did not even mention indifference curve, which I think is pertinent to the thorough understanding of microeconomics.

Some of the key concepts in the initial chapters, like Pareto Efficiency and Giffen goods have been superficially described, leaving the reader, especially those new to the subject, baffled to its real meaning or reasoning.

Furthermore, there are a few errors and flaws (up until 3rd chapter, as I decided to stop) in the examples and end-of chapter-questions. Chapter 2, Table 2.1 is obviously wrong with just a casual glance but somehow escaped the attention of the author/proofreader/publisher for such a concise book. Other tables and questions in Chapter 2 and 3 had either flaws or errors or can be better constructed.

I'm surprised that he is a senior lecturer in Economics from a top tier university in UK and was an adviser to HM Treasury. If economist's purpose is to help society in the best allocation of scarce resources, then this book should be pulled out from the market (note the opportunity cost).

So, in buying a book, we should not naively rely/trust those marketing words written on the cover, back and front, instead book buyer should take some time to examine its content.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink