on 10 June 2008
Having previously read Liane Holliday-Willey's "Pretending to be Normal", I bought Grandin's book when I saw it in my local bookshop. Her description of thinking in pictures has many resonances for me. I don't have AS or HFA but I do exhibit the Broad Autism Phenotype, which is enough in itself to cause some problems similar to those described by people with ASD.

Tiny things in the book were enormously helpful to me. At one point Grandin says that she finds books or films about relationships boring or confusing. In the TV documentary on her she said she would prefer to watch Wallace and Grommit. Ditto - and it was very cheering to find that I am not alone in that idiosyncrasy :-)

It's hard to convey just how helpful such biographies are to those of us who have struggled, even with the mildest manifestations of autism.
0Comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?