on February 5, 2010
I bought the 6 cup version of this Stellar Art Deco stove-top espresso maker after my aluminium espresso maker 'gave up' I have now been using it daily for about 6 weeks - just fantastic. It makes really good coffee without the nagging doubts about the effects of added aluminium in my diet! The 6 Cup makes 320 ml of coffee.

The first thing I noticed after admiring its looks is that it is quite heavy and feels solid and really well engineered - I don't have to screw it up nearly as tight as the aluminium one to get a seal - which means at the end, it does not require a huge effort to unscrew it! I imagine that this means that the silicone washer is going to last much longer too.

The basket into which you put the coffee is also made from stainless steel, and when I bang out the used coffee grounds I have no worry about denting it or knocking it out of shape. All of the components are stainless steel, so I'm not going to have problems with the perforated disc being deformed by the pressures inside the espresso maker (this is what finished off my aluminium maker - I got bored with constantly replacing this item)

It pours well (without any overflow from under the lid) and is stable and heavy.

The handle however does get a bit too hot to hold, so you'll need to use a tea-towel to lift it off the heat. The thick stainless steel base retains the heat, so I have found it best to turn off the gas as soon as I start to hear it hiss.

Being stainless steel, it is dishwasher safe - but I simply rinse it out as it is best to 'season' espresso makers. The polished exterior has remained bright and has not discoloured as a result of the gas flames from my stove.

I can see that it is going to run and run.
66 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?