TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 October 2012
Such a sad novel- the thoughts of Sophia Jansen in her lonely world of cheap and nasty Paris hotels, bars and dodgy men. Interspersed with recollections of her youth which pushed her to her current state; thoughts of suicide; an ultra-sensitivity to perceived slights of those around her.
I could so identify with her feelings at times: insulted in a restaurant
'I finish the coffee, pay the bill and walk out. I would give all that's left of my life to be able to put out my tongue and say "One word to you", as I pass that girl's table. I would give all the rest of my life to be able even to stare coldly at her. As it is, I can't speak to her, I can't even look at her. I just walk out. Never mind...One day, quite suddenly, when you're not expecting it, I'll take a hammer from the folds of my dark cloak and crack your little skull like an egg shell.'
Short but intense novel that totally captures the feeling of hitting rock bottom.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink