1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - 10th Anniversary Remastered Edition to be released in 2010!, 1 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Gladiator (Limited Edition Steel Book) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
...quite how this abomination slipped through Universal's quality control department remains a mystery, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if people have been fired over this disaster. Gladiator is one of their premium catalogue titles and they've made a complete and utter mess of it. It appears they've used the old transfer from 2000 and run it through a grain scrubber (half-a-dozen times by the looks of it), thus eliminating all fine detail. Of course, it wouldn't be the first Blu-ray title to have excessive DNR applied, but scrubbed to the point it actually removes parts of the film? I believe that IS a first. Arrows and fireballs that magically disappear and then re-appear? I know the Romans were a rum bunch but I'm pretty sure they didn't have cloaking technology back in the day.

Just as Sony did with The Fifth Element, Universal need to do a new high-definition transfer and issue a recall notice as a matter of urgency...and for those unlucky folks who've already coughed-up their hard earned, an exchange programme needs to be implemented at Universal's expense.

As an aside, the Braveheart transfer is nothing short of stunning.

Edit: Amazon.De have now have the re-mastered "10th Anniversary Edition" up for pre-order with a release date of May 6th. This will have a brand new 1080p transfer due to the "inferior quality" of the first release. No doubt the apologists will continue to bury their heads in the sand and insist the first release looks "stunning", but for those of us without eyesight problems & correctly calibrated displays, this comes as very welcome news.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Sep 2009 14:40:43 BDT
Thank you. I've just cancelled my Pre-order based on both your review and those of just about everyone else who's seen this Blu-ray insult. I'll order again when Universal decides not to insult us and release a decent transfer. Not good for business Universal.

Posted on 5 Sep 2009 12:52:53 BDT
Mr Wednesday says:
The original masters was made by Paramount, not Universal. Universal Pictures UK unfortunately seem to have used that crappy master. That's a shame it escaped the quality control unscathed though.

Posted on 6 Sep 2009 05:05:02 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 28 Sep 2009 17:51:04 BDT]

Posted on 6 Sep 2009 20:25:01 BDT
Paulthurlby says:
Having watched the uk version last nite it is nothing like the reviews on here says it is.it is totally amazing and sound to boot.don't u just love AV snobs

Posted on 7 Sep 2009 17:55:12 BDT
You had me in a panic there, mine arrived this morning but I didn't check it.

I've looked at it now and I can't see what you're talking about. I watch my Blu-ray's projected onto a 7 foot screen, which shows up any imperfections a disc may have. Checking Gladiator I can see no problem with the picture at all. It's the best I've seen it look in years.

Posted on 7 Sep 2009 21:42:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Sep 2009 14:22:03 BDT
Yeah, the picture's fine. Not reference quality mind, but still more than acceptable - certainly far far from the "travesty" that some people are claiming (it's painfully obvious that there's a concerted effort from the "AV snobs" to swamp Amazon with negative reviews). I do feel sorry for these people - it must be awful having your enjoyment of so many things compromised because your standards are so far out of whack that virtually nothing can measure up.

Don't believe the anti-hype folks.

Posted on 8 Sep 2009 13:09:10 BDT
Jason Thorne says:
Thankyou for a brillant review I have cancelled my order I will stick with the DVD upscale version..

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2009 21:55:45 BDT
Le Blaireau says:
Not everyone is quite so scathing of this release. For a review more balanced between "good and evil", try http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2524/gladiator.html. I guess in a couple of days I'll find out who was right..........

Posted on 9 Sep 2009 08:35:35 BDT
The blu-ray looks fine - watched it last night. Yes there is DNR and noticable edge enhancement, but i've seen no end of Blu-rays with these tinkerings. Its not a complete disaster, or unwatchable. As for the arrows and fireballs - did you do a frame by frame examination? (normal people just sit and enjoy the film) they move on screen so fast you don't notice. Are you reviewing a Blu-ray you haven't actually watched?

Posted on 11 Sep 2009 19:33:14 BDT
I thought the transfer looked good... not perfect, but good enough to shell out the cash for it. In fact, I thought it looked better than Braveheart but then again, I'm a little biased... I didn't like that movie all that much to begin with. But anyway, back to my point... don't believe all of the negative reviews about this movie. I watched it on an 85' inch HD television connected to a 7.1 surround sound system and not once was the audio or video bad. And yes, I freeze framed a lot of the opening battle and I could not tell, even on a large HDTV, that any arrows or fireballs were deleted and then restored. A lot of rubbish if you ask me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›