TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 December 2013
I have always thought that Modern Art was a load of "Pollocks", just there as something for ill-educated rich to spend their ridiculous salaries on - created by "artists" with little or no actual drawing or painting skills. A major part of my enthusiasm for the more classical forms of art, is that the skill of the artists can take my breath away - the paintings and sculptures are created by people who have skills that I can't even begin to emulate.

And although there appears to be a misprint in the title of the book - surely this should read "Why Your Five Year Old Could Easily Have Done That: Modern Art Explained", the text states (in pretty much every example) that a child of five could have created the item.

The only apparent difference is that the five year old was not "asking the viewer to reconsider their preconceptions about every day objects", or "incorporate subtle implications", or "reconsider the function of objects"...

So here we have random assemblages of a variety of materials, all capable of being put together by a five year old child - and the only difference is that the artist is making us think.
Actually, I am capable of (reasonably) coherent thought on my own... and looking at some of the art work by the children in my family - I am also able to contemplate the relationships between everyday objects, or reach into my subconscious, or re-evaluate my place in the universe...
I don't need an unskilled "artist" to do this for me.

So - excellent book, reconfirming my (no doubt) philistine tendencies... now where was that book on Caravaggio?
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?