VINE VOICEon 27 May 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I pounced on this two years ago fresh off the back of an Ella Fitzgerald obsession. I was going through a 'omg jazz!!' phase (which has now cooled off, yet to this day this CD never strays far from my player). I'll admit I didn't know what to expect - this was my first taste of 'modern' jazz n blues that wasn't just another person covering the classics (not that there's anything wrong with the cole porter songbook, but I like variety). I needn't have worried.

Catherine has a beautiful voice, the lyrics are mellow and playful and often made me laugh, and I don't think there is a single track on here I don't love. And I can't say that about many albums sitting on my CD shelf!! My favourites? Lazy That's All - it's the story of my life. Kitchen Man, which grew on me despite the daft and rather saucy lyrics (his bologny is really worth a try...!) and the chorus to Luci...my favourite track and the only really slow, soulful number...is just flat out gorgeous and enough to give you shivers. Thrill Me is gently upbeat and enough to get you bobbing along to the rhythm, and the lyrics to I Don't Care Who Knows are just hilarious. Loving it.

To be honest, you wouldn't know this was 'modern' jazz at all, it sounds like the classics. It's that good. Within a few plays you'll know all the words and have a soft spot for at least three of the songs, guaraunteed. This even made me search out other Catherine Russell albums! Recommended if you like easy listening and something amiable and fun to snap your fingers to.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details