14 of 15 people found the following review helpful
Lord Vader has entered the battlefield...,
This review is from: Star Wars: Battlefront Platinum (PS2) (Video Game)
I purchased this at full price and have always felt that it was money well spent. Now on Platinum, SW:BF is cracking value-for-money.
1) Wonderful atmosphere -- the locations and battle participants are well rendered and recreated. The soundtrack is second-to-none, with the Williams scores used to operatic effect. Battles are busy affairs -- there are always a good number of foes on screen at any time. The Star Wars universe is fully utilised.
2) The player-on-player and co-operative action is great fun and played at a pace. If you have a friend who is a Star Wars fan, you'll get sucked into playing this for hours and hours.
1) The single player campaigns just don't have the same lasting appeal as the 2 player action. It's still all about "capture the flag/eliminate all enemies".
2) Map difficult is inconsistent: You'll be jacking the game's difficulty up to Hard quite quickly, but some of the maps are deliberately juiced-up in favour of one-side or the other, and although this means you'll have a long-term challenge, it can become frustrating.
1) The control system is good IMO.
2) Enemy AI never seems to be an issue -- although they're always gung-ho, they don't seem to act bizarrely and their hit-rates always seem fair.
3) Unlike SW:BF2, you can't play the big Jedi characters, which is a shame, but they do make appearances on the battlefield. You do however get the chance to drive Imperial Walkers...
If you're a gamer with a buddy and 2 controllers, SW:BF is an excellent purchase on Platinum.