on 10 September 2015
When my copy arrived in the post, I intended to savour this story in real-time. A chapter a day, eking out the author's journey over my own one hundred days. I failed miserably.
I failed because as Daphne very quickly gets into her stride, she takes you by the hand and whisks you off with her on a flight of discovery. I couldn't put this book down.
As she perfectly captures the beauty and simplicity of her island haven, the warmth of its inhabitants - even the taste of the food - it is impossible to feel envious of her experience because you feel like you have lived it with her.
Reading at night, I too felt the chill of the wind and longed for an electric blanket. I felt the excitement of preparing my chickpeas and the flutter of hope that I would be invited to partake in local traditions. I was there, not just a fly on the wall but an active participant, listening to 'James', drinking coffee, talking to the moon and gathering rocket leaves, awaiting the arrival of my lover in a flying Bentley.
Throughout the book the author charmingly characterises different elements of her personality and though they are often at odds with one another, each of them is a friend to the reader.
'100 days' gives you an authentic and uplifting insight into the hopes, fears and dreams of another thirty-something as she looks deep inside her past, present, and on to the future, exploring the stuff that most people are too afraid to question.
Reading this book has helped me come to terms with many of my own life choices, and I now feel better motivated to pursue my own dreams.
I recommend this book to anyone standing at a crossroads. Anyone who is close to giving up on their dreams. Anyone caught up in this rat race we call "life" and anyone who has ever spent any time soul-searching.
That's everyone, right?