on 10 April 2014
Having written a review of Efdemin's Decay, I had a look back to see how my favourite Dial LPs have been reviewed. To my surprise, 'Glass Eights' has no reviews, which really isn't right. John Roberts is amazing. I'd never even heard of him before last March and to my luck he was playing at Oval Space at the Dial all-nighter with Pantha Du Prince, Lawrence & Carsten Jost. And, what's more, he completely stole the show. His live set put the music from 'Glass Eights' and his latest album, entitled 'Fences' into one mesmerising whole. I was blown away.

Glass Eights is a very intelligent blend of deep house, tribal and minimalism. Its very percussive, very cleverly layered and very distinctive. Nobody sounds like John Roberts, but yet it still sounds very much in keeping with the Dial sound, in the same way Pantha Du Prince is distinctive yet perfect for the label.

Glass Eights is superbly produced and also very emotive. My favourite track is the hauntingly beautiful 'Ever or Not', which combines echoing, simple piano play with heavy drops that explode the record into life. But by no means is this the only highlight; Dedicated & Navy Blue are also as good as nearly anything you can find released on Dial.

This is my favourite album that I've come across on Dial so far. I still have much digging into the back catalogue of this great label, but I really can't recommend this album enough to Electronica fans.

5/5