5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody brilliant!, 16 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Mr Brooks [DVD] (DVD)
WOW! I watched this film last night with my hubby and it was so good, I watched it again straight away with my daughter! It kept me riveted to the spot and my hubby actually gave it 8 out of 10 which is unheard of!

It follows the story of Earl Brooks, (Costner), who is named business man of the year at the start of the movie and shows us that he is a perfectly normal man with a loving wife and daughter. It's not long though before we meet Marshall, (William Hurt), Earl's evil and twisted alter ego. He wants nothing more than to kill innocent people and he always gets what he wants from Earl.

So off we go on a journey to kill another unsuspecting couple. Only this time, Earl makes a mistake by killing these people with their curtains open. He quickly closes them and continues his mission, all the while he's being chastised by Marshall.

Next day at work his daughter turns up unannounced and says she's dropped out of school, (we later find out why and it's brilliant!), and there is a man, (Dane Cook), with an envelope who is keen to speak to him. It turns out that the envelope contains photographs of Earl at the murder scene. What he wants in exchange for his silence is to accompany Earl on another murder.

There's also a sub plot that runs along side the main storyline. This is police detective Tracy Atwood, (Demi Moore), who is searching for the thumbprint killer, (Brooks), going through a messy divorce and is also being stalked by another serial killer, the hangman, she had caught before, and who has subsequently escaped from jail.

There are several twists and turns to this story that kept me interested both times I watched it. It didn't lose any of it's power the second time through either. Another thing that I was pleased about was that although this is a story about a serial killer, there wasn't too much violence in it. There was only two bits in particular that stand out for me that have the eeeew factor.

If you enjoy a film that keeps you guessing til the very end then this is the film for you. If you're a fan of Kevin Costner, you will love this. He gives another fantastic performance. All in all you could do a lot worse than this film so just trust me and buy it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Apr 2008 13:25:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Apr 2008 13:30:05 BDT
Frank Lee says:
No issue with the opinions - just needs a warning that this is a spoiler review in that it sets out most of the plotline in some detail. Perhaps Amazon should provide a separate area entitled "Best Plot Summaries" for those who can't express a view without including a lengthy reference to the film's storyline!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2008 11:21:58 BDT
Sue Lewendon says:
If you have seen the film you will know that I have left a hell of a lot out of my review! I have only spoken about the basics and I don't feel that they will spoil anyone's enjoyment of the film, as there are so many twists and turns that I haven't mentioned. I'm sorry you feel that way but everyone who has read my review so far has found it helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2008 22:08:44 BDT
CB says:
Actually, I'd agree with the earlier comment; you have stated too much of the plot in your review.

Posted on 5 Sep 2013 14:55:24 BDT
sdoherty says:
I enjoyed reading your review, I'm very busy at the moment and don't have time to watch films, so reading this gave me all of the entertainment without spending my time or money.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›