VINE VOICEon 15 February 2012
Ok I was being a luddite, my previous phone was the original Google Android phone and although I still rate it, it was getting a little long in the tooth. So I was due an upgrade and decided on the Nokia Lumia 800, Nokia always made good reliable phones so it had to be OK didn't it?

In short yes, first off from a purely tactile point of view the phone feels right, its not massive but it sits comfortably in the hand, the buttons are in easy to reach places and there isn't a plethora of controls dotted all over. The included case is a soft touch rubber skin that clips over easily and feels like part of the phone. So OK on to setting it up, it imported all of my facebook friends as contacts but due to the age of my old phone couldn't handle the bluetooth contact exchange, so I had to add a few numbers manually, no big deal, but you can't add a number to a contact off facebook you have to add as a new contact then join the profile, this is simple enough but its an extra step that seems a little pointless.
So on to using the phone, ok the interface is really good, simple direct and very very easy to use, the tiles and a responsive touch screen make zipping about a pleasure and really fast, typing on the on screen keyboard works a treat, even with big sausage fingers like mine :) Some others are saying that as an MP3 player it doesn't work, well to be fair the speaker on the phone is a little quiet, but I use mine bluetoothed up to a motorcycle helmet and it works a treat, there are plenty of options on how to play your tunes and you can add your own playlists.
So would I recommend it? Yes its all there, decent battery life (I have had no problems at all) camera is decent (but I would take a DSLR if i wanted any proper photos) it is all there as a sleek good looking easy to use package, and a quick mention of nokia drive here, its Nokias own Sat Nav software, has a range of free to download maps and voices works very very well and updates quickly. The single core processor in the phone makes browsing, watching videos and everything a joy, always fast and no lag in performance. The windows operating system is light years away from any other windows mobile stuff I have used in the past and for a change a pleasure. My biggest gripe is Zune, I have never used iTunes and hate those software packages that try to take ove your PC, Zune is one, why can't I have a simple drag and drop interface? But although i dislike the integratedness of Zune, its not terrible to use just an annoyance but it works and it has loads of features that I will never use so thats why it looses a star for Zune. On the whole very very impressed with the phone, very well built, light, very good looking (I have the black one BTW) the screen is sharp, bright and clear. Apart from a couple of small niggles I have I am happy to be stuck with it for the next 18 months till my contact runs out :) Can't say better than that.
22 Comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?