on June 24, 2013
I don't buy too many CDs these days, but opted to give this a go as I heard many good things about it. I am also a big fan of early QOTSA stuff (as well as Kyuss), my favourites being the self-titled debut, Rated R and Songs for the Deaf. I heard this was a return to form, as some of the more recent stuff has been hit & miss.

I've listened to it several times now, and I think despite all the hype, it's not quite the QOTSA of old. There are several slower numbers on the album which, despite decent song-writing, don't quite do it for me. And with only ten tracks on the album, it doesn't leave too much for you to turn the volume up and headbang to (e.g. track 4 songs for deaf).

My conclusion: There are some good tracks, but if you're looking for the heady drug-fuelled buzz of the early days, it isn't here. It beats Lullabies, and Era V., but just don't expect it to blow you away.
11 comment| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?