on July 12, 2010
I have this move in a few other editions on DVD and this is the best copy picture wise, hats off, but they obviously messed the sound up badly in the processing.

All through the movie there is an added flanging effect not heard on my other copies (even though they are probably from degenereated 16mm copies). The background noise sounds like a bumble bee in a long pipe. -An extremely annoying, garbling and hypnotic side effect.

The sound is plain awful, and it has nothing to do with the DVD-player (as someone suggested).
It is obvious that the restoring engineer can not handle digital editing effects. I am pretty sure that he/she/they added some editing plugin and then mixed the delayed and processed sound with the unprocessed (which is a big no-no) and got these terrible flanging/reverb effect.

I spent several hours trying to cancel out this bad side effect, but it can only be done partially. It is obvious that there is more than one of these delay effects layered over each other also they vary dynamically. The main one has a fixed delay of x samples, that does not vary at all through the movie, proving that it has been added in the digital editing, after transfer from the original film.I suspect it has to do with noise reduction, that they tried to touch up by mixing with some of the untreated sound. Obiously they were too dumb to understand and deaf to hear what happened. Bloody amateurs if you ask me.

I had a long conversation with Network and they finally gave up the arguing when I presented short sound clips from their version with a clip from an older DVD (probably from a 16mm copy!). It is quite obvious that the sideeffects are not there in the degraded(!) 16mm copy. So how could it be in the 32mm original!
They also said that they'd take the DVD back and that they just bought the rights to sell it on DVD and that it was the BRITTISH FILM INSTITUTE that did the actual restoring. If it is them they obviosly hired darn incompetent people. That is for sure.

I kept the DVD, though, because the picture is pretty good. I took the sound of what I think is from that 16mm copy (another DVD), processed it to get rid of the audio compression added in that copy and edited it in with the Network DVD picture.
I guess I now own the best audio/video combo of this movie (not counting the not accessible 32mm original)...

It is darn irritating to know that the movie has better sound on the 32mm film source, but that someone screwed it up completely and the unprocessed sound will probably never be accessible for someone like me to enjoy. I doubt there will be a another restauration made and that is a great pity.
It would have been a lot better if they had not processed the audio at all. Incompetent bastards.

-Sorry for the hard words, but in this case I don't think they are too hard...
2828 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?