on 2 June 2013
I've got all three previous Laura Marling albums, so when this one was released I didn't have any hesitation in buying it. I've not regretted it, and I've really enjoyed seeing Marling's maturation over the course of these four albums (and in only five years). I feel that this is the most accomplished album she's released so far, yet somehow I find her straying further from the more English folk feel of her first two albums, and I'm not sure that I prefer this direction.
My stand-put track is 'Master Hunter', with the frantic feeling folk guitar jangling away, and the lyrical nods to Bob Dylan. Although it does seem a tad sacrilegious in choosing a track as the album as a whole is really what's so impressive. The first four tracks seem as one, and although it's a long album, at just over an hour, it does all flow effortlessly into a single long track. This is surely the best sign of Marling's growing musical capability and maturity.
Although this isn't my favourite Marling album to listen to, I really appreciate the album as a whole. I'm sure that this album will get better and better with subsequent listens, although I doubt it'll grace my speakers as much as Alas I Cannot Swim. But it's still a great album by one of my favourite artists around just now.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.