VINE VOICEon 29 June 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is a great treasure chest of fun for all ages. I share Cerys Matthews's enthusiasm for singing an impromptu song when the mood takes me, or if the occasion fits. Looking through the simple melody arrangements of many songs, I think that the best way to approach the songs if you feel you're not musical is to remember how they had been sung to you, or how you heard them around you. Many of the melodies are simply suggested, not set in stone - but the chords are a helpful memory jogger if you do play an instrument. I only took up the ukulele last year and already handle enough chords to get through at least a dozen songs in this book. Actually, I didn't realise just how brilliant and eclectic this collection was until I tuned up my uke and started winging it!

I must say that it's a real treat to be reminded of classics such as 'Little Boxes' (my dad used to sing this to me when I was small) and 'Nellie the Elephant' (a 'Junior Choice' staple!) My version of the playground favourite 'Worm Song' is more bloodthirsty than Cerys's! I share her fond memory of Saturday mornings spent hogging the television, watching the Monkees and the Banana Splits Show ('Tra la la, Tra la la la!)

However, I have a complaint. 'Greensleeves' is far easier to play in A minor. I can fingerpick my ukulele and sing it quite passably, but in this book we find a B minor mess! Never mind: There are lots more treats such as 'I Like Bananas', 'Lambeth Walk', 'Eviva Espana', 'Goodnight Irene', 'Windmill in Old Amsterdam'.

This is a delightful book for anyone to sing. Thank you Cerys!
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?