on 25 December 2011
I was gifted this book for Christmas but inadvertently opened it a few days ago! What a fantastic insite into intercontinental travel in the late 1950's and how reminiscent in many places to a similar trip I made in the mid 80's. I thoroughly enjoyed the book which I have just finished and feel I should mention my trip as this may be a large part of the reason for my delight. Having said that the relaxed yet fascinating style of Michael Marriott I am sure will appeal to anyone who has the remotest interest in Adventure. To undertake such a trip on a 1.5 bhp Scooter obviously heightens the adventure aspect enormously but for me it was the way in which the author manages to capture both the thrill of discovery and the depths of despair that every Adventurer experiences along the way. Without those moments of total regret at the fool hardly nature of ones exploits you can never gain the sense of exhilaration in overcoming all odds.

I relived my trip through these magical pages and am greatly indebted to Mr Marriott for allowing me to replay my own journey through his trip. He also reminded me of the enormous benevolence of the folk you meet along the way at a time when, living in corporate England in the second decade of the 21st Century I was beginning to forget the honestly, hospitality and generosity which makes humanity worthy.

I commend this book most highly and, like the author, still unable to shake the urge to travel I can reassure the reader that similar experiences to those portrayed in the book are still there, in the main, throughout the world. My journeys through Arabia, South Africa, NorthAmerica, Asia, Europe, Australia and most latterly China offer many repeats of the highs and lows of Michael and Nita's journey in "Two Up" and true adventure is still there for anyone who cares to venture forth, even if it is only to the local book shop or here on Amazon to obtain a copy of their most excellent book.

Although they must now be in there 70's I would love to know if they are still adventuring and if Michael has penned any similar volumes. Better still I would love to see the footage of the trip which they documented for Redifusion.
3 people found this helpful