5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Silent Power Supply which performs very well., 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Corsair CP-9020062-UK RM Series RM1000 80 Plus Gold 1000W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit (Accessory)
Slightly smaller than my previous HX1000 power supply, so wasn't sure whether this cheaper unit would work as well as the HX1000 had done. However, power supply designs have become much more efficient since I bought the HX1000 6yrs ago.
I've had this power supply about a week now, and I've yet to see the fan start up, so absolutely silent. I have fitted a temperature sensor to the top of the power supply case and the highest it's shown is 37c, most days it's around 32c. I've connected the C-Link so I can check when the fan kicks in, but despite running games to stress the system a little, I've still not managed to get the fan running, which is pretty amazing.

Even after many hours of use the top of the unit is only slightly warm, so I'm assuming this is quiet normal, as my rig, which has a 780gtx fitted obviously is not drawing enough to trigger the fan. Ambient temperature is around the 24c/25c mark, I should mention my case is a cooler master Haf 712 which has superb ventilation with 200mm fans at the front and top, plus other fans too. These I have slowed down for general use for quietness, and are increased when gaming.
In fact that power supply sensor is the warmest in my case, with other sensors showing temps in the case of around the 29/30c mark.

Therefore I'm assuming this is why the power supply fan has not kicked in yet, as it's designed not to run until it's around the 40% load mark, Obviously this means the top of the p/supply case is a little warmer than my previous unit. One things for sure You can't get any more quieter than silent...lol though I'm sure even when the fans running it will still be pretty quiet.

As others have stated the cables are a little stiff, but so was the flat cables on my previous HX1000, and the connectors can be a little tight to plug in so they get snapped in properly, but no big deal, as I'd rather have them tight than loose.

I have connected the C-link lead and run the Corsair software, but it's value on these cheaper RM range is limited to just monitoring the fan speed and the current load on the 12v, it does show other devices in your system too, but you cannot change any settings, you can only monitor them, whereas on the more expensive AX series you can control fans etc. So probably not worth occupying a usb port for.

My previous Corsair HX1000 used to separate 500w 12v rails to achieve it's 1000w total, whereas this RM1000 just has a single 12v rail which is much better. It's early days, but if reliability turns out to be good, then this RM1000 is a very good buy, offering silent operation, you really can't get any quieter than this, whether the slightly increase temperature inside the unit affects reliability is another thing, but so far it's running far cooler than I thought it would so I'm very impressed with it;s design to achieve that.

So based on 1 weeks use, I'm impressed with it's silent operation, and efficiency in not getting warmer than it does, as to run all day, and it's case temperature is still only 10c above ambient is not bad at all in my book.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]