5.0 out of 5 stars 7 months in...life changing, but in a good way :) ...UPDATED: 3 YEARS ON, 6 April 2013
This review is from: The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer (Paperback)
I am (or was) a typical 43 year old bloke, I like a pint or 6 on a Friday night and the odd bottle of wine in the evening. I love food, travel and socialising. Inevitably this lead to middle age spread, as it has with all my friends of a similar age. 5"11 and 13.5 stone.

So of course I've tried diets, and stick to them quite well in the typical yo-yo fashion, only to end up even bigger 6 months later.

So 7 months ago a friend mentioned he had seen the Horizon TV program and was going on the 5:2 Fasting Diet. He said it was for the health benefits and not to lose weight (think he felt it wasn't a blokey thing to do, to go on a diet). So I watched the program and decided to join him on it.

I changed nothing else in my life, still binge drinking more than I mean to and eating out etc (some things are much harder to change in life, but I'm only human:)

To my surprise I found it very easy to stick to. I had a headache a couple of times on the first few weeks so had my doubts, but after a few months, because you feel so much better, it becomes a joy to be on. Of course there are "fast" days when your tummy rumbles in the evening after you have used your 500/600 calories, but it's not going to kill you and it's only until breakfast next day, which tastes so much better.

7 months in and I've lost just short of 2 stone. The weight loss has slowed to a almost a stop which is a relief as I was going to have to alter the diet some how as I had reached my target weight and didn't want to get too skinny (a nice problem to have). My resting heart rate has dropped considerably which is probably why the weight loss has almost stopped (my metabolism seems to have slowed). I don't get out of breath and I'm much fitter.

I can't see myself ever coming off this diet as my relationship with food is at an all time high. No guilty feeling when you have enjoyed a nice meal. Everything just tastes so much better. You know how towards the end of Christmas or Easter you just stop enjoying food because your so fed up of binging, well reverse that feeling and times it by 10. Even Bran Flakes after a fasting day tastes good. Even beer tastes better :)

There have been some poor reviews of this diet, but I think they just miss the point. The government and doctors are very good at telling us what we should be doing, but we already know what we should be doing, we just can't stick to it. We are genetically programmed to eat food when it's available. Years of natural selection have meant "survival of the fattest" during times of famine. It's not our fault, but to me this way of eating is how our bodies are designed to live. We were never designed to graze continuously very palatable and calorie dense food that is available 24/7, 365 days a year.

Well that's my rant over, to the book. It's £4 and I enjoyed reading it, it filled in some gaps. It's written by the guy who started it all for me and not one of the copy cat books. Good science in it. Buy it.

Just one more thing. Thank you Dr. Mosley. You have improved my life, and probably my life expectancy. I've two teenage daughters and I'm sure they will appreciate having me around in good health for longer. I've started walking now as I can now get up the hills, so if I see you on one of your walks, and it's not a fast day, I'll buy you a pint :)

UPDATE...2016
Well it's 2016. Am I still on the 5:2? Well actually, yes, I am. What other diet could you stick to for years that would actually bring health benefits? Some weeks I don't love 5:2 as much as I did in the beginning and the novelty has certainly worn off, but I'm still a great advocate of the 5:2 and I'm so glad I found it. I can't even say for certain that I would still be alive had those stones of fat still been round my waste, who can say.

Half a stone has snuck back on over the past couple of years but that still leaves me 2 stone lighter than I was when I bought the book 4 years ago. My fat friends (sorry) say to me "you still doing that daft 5:2 thing?", all having lost a few stone themselves on other diets only to put them back on again. I miss out 5:2 the odd week now such as holidays, Christmas etc, and I'm not always as strict on the 600 calories as I was in the beginning, hence the extra few pounds I guess, but I'm still happy with my weight which is well within the healthy range.

I hope my review makes you buy this book as it is life changing. Those friends that I have been able to convince certainly think so and look great for it. I'm convinced that I will be updating this review again with a similar comment in a few years time. Thanks again Michael Mosley.

Sean (Marske-by-the-Sea)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Aug 2013 09:10:21 BDT
AlineDobbie says:
I found this particular review really helpful and the comments are those of anyone sensible....I am going to try it...but I am over 20 years older than the author of the review. I am not a drinker so that is not a problem for me and I do not eat wheat anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2014 13:28:28 BDT
I've been looking for a review that I also could relate to I'm now 66 and have been a dieter for the best part of 40 years! I'm ready to try this as a last resort. Having just been diagnosed with under active thyroid, I'm now hoping to get down to an acceptable weight for me (fingers crossed).

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2014 13:51:19 BDT
AlineDobbie says:
I put myself on it last year and then my spouse also joined in. It does what it says and we lost weight painlessly. We then abandoned the diet over Christmas and then went off to India for six weeks. We intend to resume it for about a month or maybe do the 1:6. Either way we changed the way we ate which was healthy but we became very conscious of eg fruit juices and don't buy those now. We continue to eat good proteins, fruit, masses of veg, rice (I am gluten sensitive so don't pig out on those sort of things anyway). It is actually so so easy, but you must be disciplined. We drink Bovril during the day on a fast day after having had egg and fruit. Then a half steak or half chicken breast dry fried with courgettes & fruit. I now make my own plain yoghurt as a regular breakfast without any additives least of all sugar. It is good and one knows it is pure and helpful to calcium intake. Hope this helps.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›