1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Signal Strength, 20 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Sony UWABR100 USB Network Adapter Bringing Wireless Internet Access to Your Wi-Fi Ready TV (Accessory)
I read the reviews, and was not put off by the larger than normal number of negative comments about signal strength. I trusted in Sony (they have served me well in the past). Surely it could not be that bad, I thought. It is.

I struggled for a few hours to get it working. I then took my new 40 inch Bravia into the room where the router is (I could not extend the router so had to move the TV). Bingo, it worked first time. 5 bar signal strength. My daughter re-watched the final of Strictly Come Dancing on BBC iplayer. I was impressed. (Not with strictly!).

I then returned the Bravia to the adjacent sitting room, some 20 feet away. Zero bar signal strength. I could not believe such a dramatic change in such a short distance. So I repeated this again a further three times. All with the same result.

I'm deeply disappointed that Sony has produced such a weak wireless adaptor. It seems, as others have said, there is a high risk this wireless adaptor will not work if it is in a different room to your router.

All the other wireless devices in the house run fine off the router. My son's PS3 even works in his loft room.

It seems from the reviews I have read, that you have a 50:50 chance of this working for you. You may be lucky. I was not. I shall be seeking a refund, and I've already ordered a 20m ethernet cable to run under the floor.

20m Professional Network Cable (Black) - Premium Quality (26 AWG & 100% Copper Wire) / CAT5e (enhanced) / RJ45 / Ethernet / Patch / LAN / Router / Modem / 10/100

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jan 2011, 23:13:35 GMT
Julie says:
thanks for this. In my ignorance, I'd assumed that my new telly, described as WiFi ready, would be just that - able to receive WiFi without any further gismos. To be asked by Sony to spend another £70 on a poor-performance dongle is an insult. Like you, for the occasions I'm likely to use it, i'll invest in a long cable.

Posted on 30 Sep 2011, 14:55:54 BST
T. Usmani says:
Thanks for all the info, I have just bought the CX520 as well and was planning to buy the Sony UW ABR 100 adapter till I saw your review.
Could you kindly let me know if the Ethernet Cable worked for you, as I cannot find any reviews of the telly where people had used Ethernet cable to connect to the net.
Kind Regards

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2011, 20:51:55 BST
Andy Lancs says:
Ethernet cable works very well, but laying under floor was a pain.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2011, 22:55:03 BST
T. Usmani says:
Thanks Andy,
Appreciate all the help. I think I will go with the Ethernet Cable instead of the Sony Dongle as I can move the router next to the Bluray etc and run up the cable to the TV.
Thanks Again

Posted on 11 Apr 2012, 18:00:39 BST
Forgive me...I am new to all this...After reading the awful reviews on the sony Dongle, i am much more keen to go with the cable wire you recommend. i have a wireless router art home & my laptop...what do I hook the cable up to? I have the sony Bravia- that needs the dongle. I am on DLA & am not willing to fork out £50 for something that doesnt work well

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2012, 19:14:54 BST
Andy Lancs says:
Hi

simply plug one end of the ethernet cable in your router. Run it under the floor. Then attach the other end to the ethernet port on the back of your bravia. I did this and it works great.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012, 07:45:03 BST
Thank you Andy...I have, against all the negative feed back, purchased the dongle;however, if I do not get a good connection, I will not hesitate to get a refund & follow your advice. Sony ought to make things clear when you buy the product. I have already purchased 2 HDMI cables that are useless for the internet connection. If only I had been told by Sony in their manual in the 1st place. i am very ill with emphysema, and do not have the strength to cope with all this. Thank you for your straight forward advice!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›