VINE VOICEon 13 February 2005
There seems to be a penchant for sewer-as-highway fiction at the moment, but no matter, this is absolutely one to read. I bought it for my eight year old as part of her read-a-million words project because I had seen it reviewed on the first edition of Blue Peter I had seen in years. It was roundly recommended by the jury of children, though I thought it might be a little old for someone of eight. So I thought I would read the first chapter, just to get a feel of it, and see if it would be within her capabilities. I read the whole book in one sitting, which I think qualifies it as a "Page Turner", and yes I think she could cope with it, though it would stretch her - no bad thing. Actually, I think I might just have to read it with her just to make sure she doesn't get stuck, but as she is about to undergo an operation I think I might leave it a while as I don't think she will take kindly to the doctor character!
Fast paced without too much detail, this is unusal enough to engage the imagination of a wide range of readers. I really must check out the sequel......
0Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?