5.0 out of 5 stars Small, but perfectly formed, 3 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Kodak PlayFull ZE1 Full HD 1080P, Image Stabilisation with Built-in USB Arm - Blue/Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing you notice about the Kodak Playfull Ze1 is how small it is. It is about the size and weight of a Mars Bar or a slim mobile phone. Somewhat strange for such a diminutive video camera, the multi-language instruction booklet is about the size of a double CD case. Not really a problem as the use of the video or still camera is amazingly intuitive.

I was really impressed at ALL of the lead were included ... the charger of course, double bonus for me as the micro USB is the same as my phone, an HDMI lead and an AV lead ... all seem to be good quality.

The operation is smooth, there is a pretty decent image stabiliser built in, and even walking shots are pretty decent. The screen is small, but big enough to see what you are doing (I would suggest not big enough for serious editing ... you need to go to a computer or even TV for that).

On playback, the built in speaker might suggest that the audio quality is poor ... BUT ... playback on a TV or PC/Mac is really pretty good.

When I ordered the PlayFull I didn't realise it had a zoom facility ... I don't know what the specs are, but it does a decent-ish job at getting you closer to the action,

I fitted a 16Gb sdhc class 8 card into the camera, and am informed that will give me close to 3 hours of HD, 4 and a half SD record time and about 12,000 photos ... plenty for me.

There is a facility to do still shots, and again, very easy as the still/video button is a simple toggle. There is also a slot to attach the Playfull to a tripod ... I've used it and I think the feature would be very good for YouTube fans.

There is no flash or lighting facility, but all of the indoor, low light shots I have done are fine,

All in all, brilliant, I could have knocked a point off for no case, and no external mic, but really that would be very mean.

Almost forgot the share facility ... press one button on the camera (when connected to your PC/Mac and you can get content onto FaceBook, YouTube etc

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jul 2011 07:20:06 BDT
vinig6 says:
Does the filming go wide-screen?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2011 09:18:18 BDT
Nick Flynn says:
It sure does ... Looks fine on my Sony HD TV esp in 1080 mode ... The only small issue is that the zoom is all digital, so you do lose somr quality if you go in full ... But v happy with it ... N

Posted on 14 Nov 2011 10:15:52 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2011 16:54:05 GMT
Anon says:
Yes, you can disable the sharing. In fact it's not even that you have to disable it, you need to enable it to start with, so if you don't install the share application nothing will be shared anywhere.

It's just an extra feature on the camera, no obligation to use it at all!

All the best

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 16:27:28 BDT
Cheryl says:
I am looking for a Camera that I can use for University. I need to be able to capture sign language videos and wondered if this camera would be efficient for that sort of thing?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2012 16:37:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Sep 2012 16:38:49 BDT
Hi Cheryl,

In theory, yes it would be fine, but bear the following in mind.

1. There is no zoom, so you'd need to be close to whatever you're filming if you need to capture lots of detail
2. All cameras like this perform best in good light. If you're filming in a room without lots of natural light, from a distance, it's probably not the best product.

So if you plan on filming close to the subject and the light should be pretty good, then yes, go for it. If not, then maybe have a look elsewhere. Do you have a video function on your phone or digital camera? That might be another option.

Cheers,

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2012 16:43:49 BDT
Cheryl says:
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I do have a video function on my phone but when I sign the hands aren't clear, hands moving at such a speed almost look like streams of just light. I need something that I can stand on a tripod and it needs to be far enough away to catch three people having a conversation.

I am very confused and have no idea what would be best to purchase! It also needs to have decent microphone to catch any spoken translations. And of course I'm limited on money! There are so many products available it is all very confusing!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2012 17:09:13 BDT
Hi Cheryl,

Ok, I'll do my best to help. The first point about it being blurry. Actually this camera would help with that. It can record at 60 frames per second. This is an advantage for fast moving things as it reduces blur. I'm not sure how fast you sign but I guess recording at 60 frames per second might help. It's probably more down to the fact the camera on your phone is relatively low resolution. Either way, this camera will be a marked improvement. If you do buy it, do your filming at 720p 60 frames per second. not 1080p. It will be better for what you're doing.

Second point about catching 3 people talking. From memory, you'd probably need to have the camera about 3 or 4 metres away from whatever you're filming. Can you position the camera that close? The point I was making was that if you're in a big room, 20 metres away from the subject this wont be the best product for you. Assuming that's not the case, you'll be fine.

Microphone. The mic on this product is pretty good. Obviously the further away you are from the subject the quieter it will be, but if you're filming 3 or 4 metres away, it'll be fine. You can put it on a tripod.

This product is an older product now. We (Kodak) have stopped making the cameras now, which just means it's a bit cheaper than some of the other products out there. I guess from what you've said that it'll be fine for what you need.

Final point, if you buy the camera online you will have a short period of time to try it. If you decide you don't want it, for whatever reason, you can return it. It doesn't matter who you buy it from (so long as it's new and from a UK company.) I wont go into it here, but google "distance selling regulations" for more info. This just means that if all my advice turns out to be rubbish you wont be out of pocket.

Hope that helps, good luck whatever you go for.

Posted on 20 Jan 2013 23:48:52 GMT
shannonjb says:
I'm going on holiday to America and going to be doing some fast moving shooting. Like I'm going to Las Vegas and want to go on the zip wire and roller coasters etc... I want to shoot video while I'm doing these things to show my grandparents and family back home. Is this any good for that

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2013 09:44:53 GMT
Nick Flynn says:
To be honest, whilst I have done lots of hand held video I have not really done any action stuff beyond walking shots ... and I have to say the images were very stable indeed. Maybe you might look at some of the helmet cams or sports cams for the kind of stuff you are wanting to do.

I'm not saying the ZE1 won't do the action stuff ... In fact I'm sure it would do roller coaster filming OK ... but I don't know how you would hold it on a zip wire ... good luck.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›