4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive stuff., 2 May 2013
This review is from: Corsair CH-9000022-EU Vengeance M65 Performance FPS 8200 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse - Black (Accessory)
After my Logitech G500 finally kicked the dust (wouldn't drag click any more, very annoying) I decided to look elsewhere. I've always had a liking for Corsair's hardware so I thought this mouse would be ideal.

Straight off the bat you can tell the build quality is excellent, superior to that of the Logitech, with the simple yet very strong construction. The rubbery matte-finish plastic that houses the top gives just the right amount of grip for both claw-type gamers and palm-type gamers. The material used on the sides is far rougher but still nice. The aluminium body below this is beautiful and adds a nice amount of weight to the unit, making it feel like you have far more control over it.

In use it performs wonderfully - the sensitivity is great, picking up on every tiny movement I give it (moreso than the Logitech, and at first it can be rather distracting but you get used to it). The click buttons are nice and responsive and don't require too much pressure, the scrollbar is excellent and strong. The DPI buttons are nicely placed and lit. I can't say I'm overly impressed by the back and forward buttons, they take more pressing than they really should and seem too soft, and I'd have liked to see them a bit further forward, but they do work just fine. The sniper button is nicely placed and rather useful for FPS games - when outside gaming I do a lot of web surfing and I have it refresh the page. It's more useful than it sounds, really!

The software, downloadable from the Corsair site, functions nicely and lets you do just about anything you could ever want. You can set any button to do nearly anything, or a series of things - with some creativity you could make this mouse absolutely limitless, making one button function as a complex set of keys. The amount of tuning you're able to do with the software is great, even down to having different DPI settings for the X and Y axis which is more useful than you think if you're a serious gamer.

It's a very well built, incredibly accurate mouse that looks great and functions superbly. I recommend it for those who want the performance of a top-end mice with superior build quality, without the unnecessary bells and whistles you get on the more expensive Razer mice. For me at least, it's the perfect balance.

However, there are a handful of things that hold me back from giving it five stars. Listed below:

- The weight tuning isn't as good as I'd have liked. The package comes with no weights and it comes with no instructions on how to remove the covers at the bottom, and they can be very difficult to remove. When you compare this to the weight tuning in other mice being incredibly simple it's not really ideal to have to go through such a trial for something that is so simple in other gaming mice.

- The link in the instructions that is meant to go to the software doesn't actually work and sends me to a 404 page. It's easy enough to find on Google but they put absolutely no thought into the documentation for this mouse.

- The back and forward buttons could be better and more responsive, tactile. They do work and they've yet to cause me problems but it does leave a little bit to be desired. For me as well, I'd have liked them further forward.

- The software isn't as intuitive as I'd like and for some reason made my keyboard glitch and wouldn't let me type, assuming every key I pressed was a command (run, my computer, etc.). Deleting all the profiles somehow fixed it but it was a very confusing problem that even now I can't understand.

Overall though, it is the best mouse I've used if you ignore the minor drawbacks. It's a shame that such simple things can let such a beautiful mouse down, because it really is beautiful - it's just about perfect for me. It's functional while being attractive, it's impressive looking without being ostentatious. It has all the functionality you could ever want from a gaming mouse without going for one with 9 buttons on the side (which would drive me insane...).

[Add comment]