on 30 July 2009
I needed this as a secondary infra red receiver because my Sky plus box is hidden in a cabinet and can't receive the signal from my Sky remote. I didn't want it for connecting to any tv, main or 2nd set, because my Sky remote is already tuned to my tv (volume and on/off) , I just needed it to change channels on my Sky box, without my Sky box being in view. When I opened the packaging & read the instructions I was dismayed when I read that I needed a coax cable & had to connect it to tv. But I found that this was not the case in my situation, my Sky plus box is connected to tv via scart lead. I just plugged the unit straight into the RF2 socket on my Sky plus box and stuck the infra red receiver onto side of cabinet (threaded through a hole in the back) the unit comes with sticky pad that made this possible. Now, even though my Sky box is hidden, it can receive a remote signal via a less noticeable Magic Eye (I had to also set my Sky box in order to set up the RF - pressing 'SERVICES' on my remote, then 4, 0, 1, SELECT (this has to be done blindly as the numbers don't show up on screen as you press them). INSTALLERS MENU came up, I picked 'RF OUTLETS' and then turned 'RF OUTLET POWER SUPPLY' on.....and that was that). But you may need a length of coax cable for connecting the unit to the Sky box if you need longer than 2 feet, for that is the length of wire the Magic Eye comes with, it was just enough in my case. It IS NOT a video sender. It CANNOT send a picture from Sky box to your tv. It would have to be connected via a length of coax cable in order to send signal to your tv, via RF which is one of the worst ways to send signal to your tv.

(UPDATE OCTOBER 2011)
The newer SKYHD boxes will need a new code, not 401 as above.
After connecting the Magic Eye to the 'RF OUT' connection in the back of your SkyHD box. Press SERVICES on your Sky remote, followed by: 0, 0, 1, SELECT (again blindly as the numbers do not appear on screen). Then, in the menu that appears on screen select 'RF OUT'. Then select 'RF POWER SUPPLY' - it'll be turned off, turn it to ON and then press the GREEN button to SAVE your choice. Your Magic Eye will work fine then, mine does.
2727 Comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?