Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on December 24, 2010
I had been approached by a couple of people asking me if I could program a website or two. Just some basic stuff with HTML and CSS, which I am pretty much able to do. One friend wants to get a property website up and running so I soon realised I had to do some learning... and fast!

I made a visit to a very good online forum and one member referred this book to me. I have been using both the online version as well as the book (bedtime reading, if you know what I mean!) and the way in which it is set out is easy to follow. You get an explaination of the theory, the code is introduced in small chunks and explained individually. Then you get the practical example of what you have been doing. This is a brilliant book to start out with but I also started following 'Teach Yourself MySQL In 21 Days', which I found online. This book is not quite as well set out but it does explain some of the database theory in a bit more detail in an easy to understand way. I found that having started with Kevin Yank's book then getting a slightly different slant on the subject matter with the other book it all started to fit into place when I went back to continue with Kevin's guide.

Having the online version is handy as you can cut and paste the code in. I learn best by doing, so I generally type it all out anyway. However, a couple of times I missed a colon or bracket out but couldn't fugure out where. I cut and pasted from the book (PDF) to compare and troubleshoot. If you start to understand the theory you can sometimes use the lazy way, right?!

A good book that is better than most others I have seen so far...
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?