on 16 April 2013
I want to thank eveyone who posted comment on my original review - I did not mean to stir up a hornet's nest around who released what first. The point I want to make is this guy has been so under-rated and under appreciated it is criminal he struggled (according to him) to get a record deal for decades. There are countless examples of stuff that clearly was influenced by Shugg and often without any acknowledgement.
Ins/Inf is the best album ever. I treasure my copy of the original vinyl release from way back. My son in his mid twenties last year got into Shugg and we and other son caught the London show a few months back - and amazingly the promised release has materialised. Shugg simply is a genius and it is just wonderful to have some new sounds. There is talk that this is just a gap filler and more stuff on the way - I just hope so. Worth the 40 years wait - W of L ain't no I/I overall but just so good to have some real music again - with a bias to a rockier style - but he goes through it all heady I/I stuff to some straight ahead rock. There is live track - Black Belt Sheriff that is Shugg on acoustic that reminds me of Marley's Redemption Song somehow - that's the breadth of this set. Now and then lyrics ( from Ins/Inf) are re-cycled and now and then riffs re-appear - that might bug some. It's all a bit of a mish mash - a collection of stuff whereas I/I was recorded as an album - but for me streets ahead of anyting I have been able to buy for so so long. Please buy the disc and support this special talent.
3 people found this helpful