Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop now

1.0 out of 5 stars DEZL 760 - Beware of Device Glitches and Poor Customer Service, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Garmin Dezl 760LMT-D City Navigator for Europe (Electronics)
I am fairly new to truck driving so wanted to invest in a top of the line piece of equipment to help me in my new career....I did lots of research and finally decided to go for the Garmin DEZL760 especially as Garmin provide the aviation industry with much of their equipment so it's got to be good right?.....errrmmm no.

The DEZL760 freezes during route calculations at least 6 times a day, the unit also decided that it doesn't recognise my PC after the second time I tried to do map updates, I then spent 2 months in email conversation with garmin technical who to be frank simply kept sending me template 'try this' responses which were not helpful and showed no acknowledgment of my previous emails and information provided to them, they ignored my requests to actually speak to a customer service advisor and eventually sent me an order number to send the device back to them for what they later acknowledged was a known issue.....well I've just purchased a Tomtom 5150 Pro and will be sending the Garmin back and demanded a refund especially as today whilst driving through Whitchurch the device seemed to think I was floating over the streets instead of driving on them.....that was the final straw in a tedious relationship with this device and it's manufacturer.

To be fair the display is excellent and it's intuitive to use with plenty of clever little options but it's reliability and extremely poor technical support has left a sour taste in my mouth so it's over to tomtom now!

I can only hope and pray that that the Tomtom is better......looking at the reviews, it certainly doesn't seem to dissapoint.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Sep 2013 12:45:58 BDT
This freezing problem seems to be across the range I had a 2445LMT and had to return it after progressively worsening freezing, blank screens and shutdowns. I too use mine for work and the thing drove me (sorry!) mad having to keep restarting it and it shutting down after just putting in a new route. Luckily I had an old garmin for back up. I changed mine for a nuvi 54 and it so far has been a lot better apart from the odd freeze which I hope doesn't increase in frequency.
I would love a truck based model but am put off by the price, I don't see why all the range can't have a larger vehicle facility being as a lot of people need them for caravaning etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2013 21:26:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Sep 2013 21:27:55 BDT
David Walker says:
In addition to Paul's review; this is a first post. I will want to write more reviews as I go. I'm in Australia. I also bought garmin due trust engendered through aviation. I have found in my first few weeks owning that the garmin dezl 760 lmt makes some usual errors that other gps' make. Eg it has poor map data; admittedly I have not done an update, but when you are on roads that is 20 years old or so, you'd think even basic maps would get it right (Australia east coast). One thing I'd like to see is an option to enter known road info, rather than simply being thrust up to the black ' no known truck' data symbol. Some roads it should be known by now,,, years old roads. Some features are good, such as active lane guidance, but never take it as gospel. I had a joggle intersection in Sydney that was only maybe 50 metres joggle with necessary lane guidance, and it gave me a 30-40 metre warning, enough for the car I was in, but as good as it will probably ever get. Warning for speed zones and cameras is superior to other gps' I used including Tom Tom for car. I haven't used mine as much as Paul yet (even though 5000 km weekly in a standard single 40 tonne, 19 metre hc) over the Sydney Brisbane route, but I'm now wondering how garmin will be in support...!!!?? Points taken Paul - they better get their act together for me or I will swap too..

Posted on 22 Jan 2014 14:52:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jan 2014 14:54:15 GMT
GG says:
Having used Garmin Products for some years on Motor Cycles mainly, I also found that technical backup is poor. I use cheapo Nuvi products for in car now and based on reputation am buying a Snooper Truckmate Pro Sound DB8500 HGV Sat Nav for our Camper Van, more expensive but fed up with Garmin who obviously consider themselves to be infallible and don't need to try harder!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›