TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 December 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was my first reading of book written by Catherine Fisher and I had no preconceptions. Except from the information contained in the Amazon overview abstract which peaked my interest. From my understanding, she has written a book called Incarceron, which I have yet to read. The Obsidian Mirror is adventure that combines Science Fiction in terms of time travel and fantasy. Tales that contain `Time travel' can be at times confusing, but Ms Fisher doesn't make it overtly too complicated. The narrative leaves many questions left unanswered, but there was enough revealed for the reader to enjoy the story. The obsidian mirror itself, is a time portal of sorts, and remains a mystery, but I am sure all will be revealed in the next instalment? The only irritant in this mix of themes, and simply refuses to fit, is the fairies. They might be colourful characters and are horribly creepy, but they seem be too be absolutely and totally an irrelevance to the narrative, and I can't understand their purpose in this story. Maybe their role will be clearer in the second book?

I am not too enamoured by a narrative that is told from of a multiple of points of view and I think I would have liked this book more if it were it told from Jake's perspective alone, and in first person. Third person narrative is my least favourite narrative choice here, this maybe me, but I feel you lose emotional bonds between the characters and the entire experience can come off being somehow seem cold and clinical in its delivery. For example the switching narration from Jake to Sarah and back, within a few short chapters with other narrative voices `jarred' the natural flow. Ms Fisher is an excellent writer with a good sense of pacing and wonderful imagination. Her sentences are short and clear, her style pleasingly concise, and yet she somehow avoids making it seem `wooden' in the telling. The Obsidian Mirror left so many questions unanswered and I look forward to the sequel.
What's this?