on 15 June 2014
When this album was originally released it marked the end of my love affair with Toyah's music. At the time her record company released three versions. The tape and CD versions had extra tracks which the vinyl version did not. Few people had CD players (including me) and the disks were over priced in my opinion. I rarely bought tape versions of albums as the sound quality was usually inferior to the vinyl, they often cost more, and they did not last very well.

I waited for years for the album to be re-released on CD as second hand copies were going for over £60 on Ebay. I was not disappointed as this version includes the bonus tracks. However, I had forgotten the dystopian view of the USA offered by "America for beginners", the masochistic "I'll serve you well" and the depressing "Sympathy". Probably most memorable is the very catchy single "Don't fall in love" which may have been written from the experience of her breaking up with her long time boyfriend, but before she married Bob Fripp. There is a good mixture of darker and lighter songs and the collection does gel together.

I consider this an essential Toyah album and bridges the gap between the excellent, but poppier "Anthem", "the changeling" and her later solo albums which I am not too keen on.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink